D.C.’s Own Ghostbusters

Founded in November 2006 in D.C., AdventureMyths is a ghost-hunting company that uses video and photography to investigate the validity of folklore, myths and legends around the world in order to preserve history.

According to Frank Polievka Jr., founder and CEO of AdventureMyths, the group markets video documentaries that explore ancient historical buildings bearing myths and legends that people have forgotten but are willing to pay to hear and see.

“The more opportunities you have to experience something or be exposed to something, I think the more you will learn, question and debate based on earlier experiences; so yes, in my own opinion a lot of times there seems to be more truth discovered in a myth or a legend than first thought,” Polievka said in an e-mail.

The diverse group of ghost hunters, who range from law enforcement officers to a scholar of demonology, runs the nonprofit organization by contributing individual talent and skills.

“I firmly believe that the investigative techniques taught in the law enforcement field are what assist trained investigators in documenting reality and not jumping to conclusions based on assumptions or hearsay,” Polievka said.

ichelle Burnette, lead investigator at AdventureMyths and a police officer in the D.C. Metro area, is responsible for the overall safety of the team and artifacts during investigations. She is also the lead photographer.

“I have on occasion been fortunate enough to capture unexplainable activity on video camera [while] filming documentaries,” she said.

According to Polievka, government funding for many foundations that maintain historical sites has dropped in the current economy. AdventureMyths has made contributions with its revenue from the sale of documentary videos to help many such foundations remain open.

Burnette predicts major changes over the next decade for the company. In addition to creating a library of documentaries covering legends and myths of historical locations around the globe, she expects continuous media coverage for AdventureMyths’ part in preserving the properties.

“In 10 years, I would expect AdventureMyths to have sponsorship and a show on the History Channel that captures the group’s mission and keeps their professional approach to uncovering the paranormal,” Burnette said.

“We have established trust with historic foundations and that trust will guarantee the opportunity for AdventureMyths to continue to give back a piece of history to communities all over the world. Can you really put a price on that?” Polievka said.

Burnette says she hopes for bragging rights to an unforgettable photograph capturing a legendary apparition during an investigation.  “