DCSnacks Reaches for a Piece of the Pie As Online Service Expands to GU

The expansion of popular online snack provider DCSnacks.com to the Georgetown area last month has given hungry students a way to slake their late-night cravings through the simple click of a button.

The late-night delivery site expanded from George Washington University’s campus in early December to cover the Georgetown campus and neighborhood, according to Whitaker Leonhardt (COL ’07), Georgetown-area marketing coordinator for DCSnacks. atthew Mandell, the 2004 graduate of GWU who started DCSnacks, says the company seeks to provide late-night food beyond the typical selections of Chinese food and pizza.

“It was virtually impossible to find meals and food that catered to vegetarians late at night,” Mandell said. “We changed that.”

Unlike buying refreshments at the traditional late-night convenience store, customers place orders online at DCSnacks, and a bicycle courier delivers the requested products from the company’s warehouse within 35 minutes, Leonhardt said.

In addition to snack foods, DCSnacks carries items such as DVDs and cigarettes.

“It’s really convenient,” Megan MacDonald (COL ’09) said. “They have an amazing selection, and the service is very accommodating and friendly.”

The move has not gone unnoticed by Georgetown’s resident snack provider, the Corp, which operates a convenience store and snack stand on campus.

Vital Vittles Director Frank Balsamello (COL ’07) said that the Corp’s mission of serving Georgetown students distinguishes it from DCSnacks. He said that the Corp’s commitment to giving financial support to student events like Hoyathon and New Student Orientation would hopefully encourage Hoyas to continue their patronage of the Corp.

“I’m confident that students realize how much we do and how much we will improve with continued support,” said Balsamello, who is also a member of THE HOYA’s editorial board. “The three-minute walk to Leavey is worth keeping student money in the Georgetown student body rather than a GW alum’s pocket.”

Roisin Pelley (SFS ’10) said that she remains loyal to Vital Vittles despite DCSnacks’ arrival on the Hilltop.

“I choose to go to Vittles instead of DCSnacks because the Corp uses its profits to support us, the student body,” Pelley said.

Balsamello claimed that the Corp offers a greater assortment of goods and cheaper prices than DCSnacks.

“I don’t think Georgetown students will pay more for less variety and take their business away from all of the good things we do,” Balsamello said.

Even without with the delivery service fee, which is $1.50 for orders under $10, some items are more expensive at DCSnacks than at Vital Vittles. Various pastas, which all cost under $2 at Vital Vittles, cost $2.49 at DCSnacks. PopTarts and Snapple are $0.50 cheaper at Vital Vittles.

Students can choose from 64 DVDs on DCSnacks.com while Vital Vittles currently only carries movies on videocassettes. The Corp offers over hundreds of titles for rent, however, through its rental service, Movie Mayhem.

MacDonald says that she prefers DCSnacks over Vital Vittles because DCSnacks “delivers directly to you, and you can be sure they’ll have what you want.”

DCSnacks now also accepts GOCard, according to Leonhardt.