Donaldson: Media Skepticism Crucial

Political journalists must sift through information skewed by politicians to convey objective material to the public, veteran ABC News reporter Sam Donaldson said yesterday in a speech in ICC Auditorium.

While politicians naturally try to manipulate the media to publicize their political successes and conceal their mistakes, Donaldson said that a skillful journalist must look past the spin and sort out the facts behind a story.

“The smart politicians – they don’t like us in the sense that, who wants to be criticized?” he said. “We have always been wined and dined . The smart [politicians] use us and we’re happy to be used as long as what you tell me is factual.”

Donaldson cited the late President Ronald Reagan and his former press secretary, Marlin Fitzwater, as politicians who understood the interplay between the government and the press.

“[Reagan] was smart enough to know that we were doing a job and he would have to roll with it,” Donaldson said. He added, however, that the Reagan administration also attempted to present only the most favorable information to reporters.

“When he had to, [Fitzwater would] blow smoke and wink in a way that let you know you’re not stupid,” Donaldson said. Fitzwater was also press secretary for President George H.W. Bush.

Politicians and their press secretaries can avoid questions and make misleading statements, but when it comes down to facts, they cannot lie, Donaldson said.

“In the final analysis, [politicians] can beat the press . but it won’t get [them] through the facts,” he said.

He added that objective journalism normally does not sway public opinion, saying, “The smart politicians know that ultimately no matter what the facts are, the press can’t elect a candidate.”

If objective reporting brings to light the mistake or failure of one party, journalists are sometimes criticized for being partial, which is not often the case, Donaldson said.

“When it comes to reporting, it’s not balance [that is important] . I don’t think it’s being partisan when I say we need to find the facts,” he said.

Donaldson also voiced concern that Americans are not well-informed about foreign cultures and their ways of life. He said a reporter must explain the context of international issues if the audience is to accurately understand them.

“I’m very worried about the problems that arise because we have to integrate with the rest of the world,” he said. “We don’t know much about the rest of the world.”