Don’t Forget Lessons Taught by Rigby

It’s been nearly one and a half years since MSB senior Daniel Rigby died in a Prospect Street townhouse fire, but his life and his legacy are still fresh in the minds of many in the Georgetown community. While remembering Dan, let us also keep in mind the unfortunate but valuable lesson his passing taught us all.

The October 2004 fire reminded the neighborhood of the pressing issue of safety in off-campus housing. After the fire, the city’s Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs inspected almost 150 Georgetown townhouses, resulting in the removal of more than 54 students from temporarily condemned townhouses not up to modern fire safety standards. The university acted on behalf of students, providing alternate, temporary housing including hotel rooms in the Leavey Center.

Many of Dan’s fellow Hoyas also stepped up in memory of their friend, with the ultimate goal of preventing such a tragedy from happening again by increasing students’ awareness of off-campus housing safety. They decided to organize a memorial race, the Run for Rigby, which drew about 500 runners and walkers last April, each of whom donated to a scholarship fund in Dan’s name.

While last year’s event was certainly special, we at Georgetown should make sure it does not become a one-time occurrence. After last year’s Run for Rigby, The Hoya printed an editorial stating, “As new Hoyas arrive on campus every year, and those who once knew Daniel Rigby filter out, it is important that we retain the memory and the pursuit of improvement that his death left us with” (“Rigby Run Instills Support,” April 26, 2005, A2). One year later, we cannot forget these words of wisdom.

Students living off-campus still need to know what is at risk when their townhouses do not meet city housing codes and that resources are readily available to ensure any student’s home is safe.

DCRA must be invited by a resident before performing a (free) safety inspection, and students should be sure to extend that invitation.

As long as rent is paid on time, “the landlord cannot seek retribution against a tenant for demanding that the property be maintained, secure, and up to code,” said Chuck Vansant, director of off-campus student life. “The student-tenant should always demand to see the Basic Business License [required of all landlords] before signing the lease, should request an inspection by the city and report landlords who are not responsible and responsive.”

Taking such measures is free and simple and can save students’ lives.

I also encourage students not to be afraid of the consequences when having a house inspected. If a house were to fail a safety inspection, the university would undoubtedly provide alternate housing until the problem is fixed. And the Office of Off-Campus Student Life is always available as a resource for students dealing with difficult landlords and other housing issues.

Dan’s legacy has survived thanks to the efforts of his family, friends and fellow Hoyas through the first year and a half since his death, but it will take an effort by the entire Georgetown community to ensure that his memory continues to thrive as time passes.

April 23 brings with it the Second Annual Run for Rigby, and I encourage every able person to run or walk in this event. In the case that participating in the race is not an option, even stopping by to support the runners, to collect housing safety information and to honor Dan’s memory, will be well worth one’s time.

By remembering Dan and practicing housing safety now, we can prevent the loss of another friend and fellow Hoya in such a tragic fashion.

James Hilson is a sophomore in the College, opinion editor at The Hoya and a member of the Run for Rigby’s planning committee.