DPS Arrests Suspect in Recent Graffiti Incidents

A suspect was apprehended last week in a series of graffiti incidents that have taken place on campus since late January, according to an entry in the Department of Public Safety’s online daily crime log for April.

According to the log, the suspect is a Georgetown student and was arrested by DPS in Copley Hall at approximately 12:58 a.m. on April 9.

The student was found in possession of spray paint. “[The student was] charged with a series of recent graffiti incidents, including the Lady of Fatima defacing,” the log states.

This arrest follows at least 18 incidents of on-campus graffiti that have been reported in the DPS daily crime logs since Jan. 28, including the two defacements of the two defacements of the Lady of Fatima(Blessed Mother) statue on Copley Lawn, the incident with the Jan Karski statue which sits outside of White-Gravenor Hall, and an April 2 report of an American flag that was spray painted outside of Village A. Several incidents of possible Nazi-related symbols being painted on campus and nearby property have also been reported by The Hoya in recent weeks, many of which are included in the daily crime log reports. It is not clear with which and how many of these incidents the suspect has been charged.

According to the entry in the daily crime log for April 9, this case is still under investigation.

The Department of Public Safety could not be reached for comment.

Read more: “DPS Arrests Suspect in Recent Graffiti Incidents | The Hoya.”