Dramatic Win Highlights Frost Classic

In the bottom of the seventh inning against Evansville (1-3), freshman catcher Shakira Lowe stepped to the plate with runners on first and second base. After losing their lead in the top of the seventh inning, the Hoyas had rallied to put runners on base. Under the pressure, the clutch freshman ripped a single into left field giving the Hoyas a thrilling 4-3 win over Evansville.

On Friday, Georgetown started the Frost Classic with a convincing victory, an 11-3 victory over Wright State. Then, against Tennessee-Martin, a five-run inning for their opponents buried the Hoyas in a 9-1 loss. The Hoyas would respond against Evansville with Lowe’s game-winning hit. But the Blue and Gray reverted to their stagnant offensive ways in the final two games of the tournament, failing to score a run in either of their two losses to Chattanooga (8-0) and Lipscomb (2-0).

If softball is a game of streaks, then Georgetown’s women’s softball team (4-5) has not been playing that game recently. The Hoyas had not won or lost two consecutive games this season until suffering two straight defeats in their final pair of contests at the Frost Classic.

In addition to a lack of consistency, the Hoyas have been missing run production to this point in the season. The Hoyas have been shut out in their past two games and scored one run or less in three of their last four games.

Some bright spots for the Hoyas’ offense, however, have been the hitting of senior third baseman Demetria Cipriano and Shakira Lowe. In nine games, Cipriano has batted an impressive .450, leading the Hoyas with nine hits and four runs batted in. In the first games of her college career, Lowe has played in eight games hitting an incredible .636 (7-11) and knocking in three runs – including the aforementioned game winner against Evansville.

In the field, senior right-handed pitcher Jennifer Connell has been Georgetown’s ace with a 3-2 record and a 1.69 ERA. In the season opener, Connell pitched the Hoyas to a three-hit shutout victory over

Rider, and her only two losses have come in low-scoring pitching duels.

The Hoyas have competed in two tournaments so far this season: the Elon Phoenix Tournament (2-2) in Elon, N.C., and the Frost Classic (2-3) in Chattanooga, Tenn. At each tournament, the hosts have not been hospitable to the Hoyas; Elon and Chattanooga were a combined 3-0 against Georgetown.”