Duke, Syracuse Highlight 2005-06 Schedule

With a little over two months to go before the college basketball season kicks off, Georgetown University announced its men’s basketball schedule on Thursday. The Hoyas look to build on last year’s 19-13 overall record (8-8 Big East) and a three-game run in the National Invitation Tournament.

The season begins with the revival of a once-storied rivalry between Georgetown and Navy on Nov. 18 in Annapolis, Md.

Georgetown will travel for a rematch with 2005 NCAA finalist Illinois in a nationally televised game on ESPN on Dec. 3, and CBS will broadcast a home game against Duke, who reached the Sweet 16 last year, on Jan. 21. Other non-conference games on the schedule include an away match at James Madison and home-court tilts against Vanderbilt and Fairfield.

The Hoyas will also participate in two tournaments, the Hispanic Classic and the Sun Bowl Tournament. In the Hispanic Classic, Georgetown will travel to Oregon and tentatively compete against Stetson and Savannah State. The University of Texas-El Paso will play host to the Sun Bowl, which is slated to include Colgate and ississippi Valley State.

One non-conference opponent on the 28-game schedule has yet to be determined. That game will take place at MCI Center on either Nov. 28 or 29.

Georgetown will start its conference schedule on Jan. 5 with a home game against Providence. Ten games on the Hoyas’ Big East schedule feature teams that reached postseason play. Home games versus Cincinnati and St. John’s will air on ESPN2, and a game at Marquette will be on ESPN.

Georgetown will face St. John’s and South Florida in its two Big East home-and-away series. Louisville and Seton Hall will not play Georgetown in the regular season, but the teams may meet in the Big East Tournament, held March 8-11 in New York. Last year the Hoyas reached the second round of the conference tournament, defeating Seton Hall 56-51 in the first round but falling to Connecticut 66-62.