Eagles Cruise Past Hoyas, 6-2

The Georgetown field hockey team can’t catch a break.

Coming off a rough month of play that found their record at 2-6-0, the Hoyas were beaten again over the weekend, this time by the Eagles of Lock Haven (10-1-0) by a score of 6-2.

From the start, the Eagles took over Kehoe Field and made it their own. Within three minutes of play, senior midfielder Kellie Kulina netted one for Lock Haven. By the end, the Eagles had totaled an impressive 16 shots on goal.

Although the Georgetown defense recovered from the disappointing start, stepping up their play with solid stick work and strong drives clearing the circle, freshman midfielder Renee Kemmerer and junior back Courtney Hughes added two more goals to Lock Haven’s total before the end of the first half.

The Eagles jumped even further ahead early in the second half, increasing their lead to five goals within 10 minutes with goals by two of their forwards, sophomore Sarah Huber and freshman Samantha Stoyer.

Freshman midfielder Kristin Twomey was the first to hit the net for the Hoyas when she scored after a timeout on an open goal in the 51st minute of play. Lock Haven was not going to let Georgetown back into the game, however, and they rebounded with their sixth and final goal 10 minutes later, scored by junior forward Nikki Sweger.

The Hoyas would not take their defeat quietly, and overall they managed to place seven shots on goal. Their steady play was rewarded with the last goal of the game in the 69th minute of play.

After a persistent senior midfielder, Meghan Devaney, forced two shots on goal, sophomore forward Jen Kosloski was able to find the back of the net for Georgetown.

“We all wanted it,” Kosloski said of the goal. “We pulled together. It’s not even about winning and losing. There have been games that we lost that we felt great about.”

Lock Haven Head Coach Pat Rudy also said that the Hoyas played well.

“They gave us a run for our money,” Rudy said. “They are a feisty team.”

This loss was Georgetown’s fourth consecutive and their seventh of the season.

“In practice we can take any team in the country. Game time, we’re working on it,” Georgetown Head Coach Laurie Carroll said. “We are playing as individuals.”

Carroll credited the fact that over half of the team is in their first two years at Georgetown, and one-third are freshmen.

“We’re a young team,” she said. “Right now we [are preparing] the youth. We have a bright future.”

The Hoyas are hoping their bright future will dawn a little early and help turn around their record in the last month of their season. Hungry for a win, the team will face Towson tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. on Kehoe Field.