Eagles Snatch Win in Second Half

Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya American senior forward elissa Snyder and Georgetown junior defender Caroline Cole battle for control of the ball. Snyder had one goal and one assist on the afternoon.

The Georgetown field hockey team suffered its seventh consecutive loss Wednesday as District rival American scored five second-half goals to take a 6-3 win at Kehoe Field.

The Eagles (7-1) outshone the Hoyas on defense, allowing nine shots compared to 24 by the Georgetown backfield. The Hoyas had just seven shots on goal – three by senior defender Lauren Galbally and two each by senior forwards Leeanne Rizzo and Dionna Jordan.

Sophomore midfielder Maureen Daniel pressured the Georgetown defense all afternoon, tallying seven shots – including one goal. She also had an assist on the game’s first goal.

Hoya freshman goalkeeper Caitlyn Faller started the game, but was replaced by fellow freshman Abby Winer with 13 minutes to play. Faller allowed five goals on 11 shots while Winer fended off seven shots, letting just one goal slip by.

American drew first blood six minutes into the contest, as senior forward Melissa Snyder sent a rebound from Daniel past Faller to the back of the net.

The Eagle advantage did not last long, as Rizzo inbounded to junior defender Caroline Cole in the 10th minute. Cole then sent the ball to Galbally, who outwitted American goalkeeper Laura iller to tie the score at 1-1.

It was deja vu for the American defense as the Rizzo-Cole-Galbally combination notched another goal three minutes later to give Georgetown its first advantage of the afternoon.

The remainder of the first half was a defensive showcase. Neither team got on the board, sending the match into the break with the Hoyas still leading, 2-1.

Daniel jump-started the sputtering American offense three minutes into the second stanza. She scored off a corner from Snyder via sophomore midfielder Shannon Goans. Georgetown surrendered another goal just over one minute later as a penalty shot by freshman forward Camila Infante, a native of Chile, got past Faller.

Rizzo managed one more tally for the Hoyas at 49:18 to tie the score for the third time in the game. But the Eagles barraged the Georgetown net with 13 shots after halftime, while the Hoyas mustered a single shot in the same span. The payoff was two goals for American freshman forward Heidi Hershberger sandwiching a score by her teammate junior midfielder Javiera Villagra, also from Chile.

“We got intimidated,” head coach Laurie Carroll said. “We didn’t close it out. American has some very talented international players that can really take control.”

Georgetown (1-7) has been tied or leading at the half in each of its last three competitions against Pacific, Maine and American, but has wound up losing each match.

The 6-3 victory was American’s fifth-straight, a streak dating back to September 7. It also marked the team’s fourth win of the season by two or more goals.

The Eagles next take on St. Joseph’s at the University of Delaware on October 1. The two teams met briefly on August 30 before the game was called for rain. At the time, American had a 2-0 lead.

The Hoyas look to a Saturday contest against the Retrievers of University of Maryland-Baltimore County for an opportunity to stop their seven-game skid. The match – the fourth of seven straight at home – begins at 1 p.m. on Kehoe Field.

“Attack, attack, attack,” Carroll said of her game plan for this weekend’s competition. “We’re not going to sit on our heels this time. That’s not going to cut it.”