Even Joe Hoya Can Pretend To Be Mike Sweetney

Let’s face it, we can’t all be Mike Sweetney. Not everyone is cut out to run on the field, court or track of his choice at the varsity level. Still, even those Georgetown students who don’t dream of becoming a part of a college athletic program often want some outlet for their athletic talents – or lack thereof.

The Intramural Sports department will begin its spring season for just such Hoyas. Each year, some 1,600 undergrads, as well as 400 grad students, faculty and staff participate in intramural sports, run through Yates Memorial Field House.

“Intramurals give participants a social outlet and a way to work out but also have a good time,” Mike Vincent, Director of Intramural Sports, said. “It creates a structured environment with a scoreboard and a ref that students wouldn’t normally get.”

The spring lineup features the old favorites of basketball, volleyball and tennis. In addition, Hoyas can now participate in sports that are just a little out of the ordinary. Not particularly athletic? Try table tennis. Still too much coordination involved? How about intramural arm-wrestling?

“We try to offer special events every year that will attract the students who aren’t normally drawn to sports,” Vincent said.

Roughly 60 teams participate in intramural spring basketball, and there are seasons for both 3-on-3 and 5-on-5 ball. Participants in IM sports are also guaranteed an hour of field or court time every week, something anyone who has been to Yates knows is a hot commodity.

Whether or not you dream of one day being like Mike, and no matter what your sport or skill level, Georgetown’s Intramural sports have you covered. Sign-up sheets are available in the Intramural Office on the main floor of Yates or online at yates.georgetown.edu.