Ewing Jr. Transfers to GU

Following in his father’s footsteps, Patrick Ewing Jr. has decided to transfer from Indiana University to Georgetown to play basketball for the Hoyas.

“My son chose Georgetown,” Patrick Ewing (CAS ’85) told KRIV television in Houston on Wednesday night. “I’m excited. It’s a great place for him to be, and not just because I went there. The coaches love him and want him to play for them.”

The transfer has not been confirmed. Georgetown Senior Sports Communications Director Bill Shapland said the university has no comment.

A 6-foot-8 sophomore forward, Ewing Jr. played in 57 games in his two years with the Hoosiers, averaging 3.4 points and 3.7 rebounds per game.

A top recruit out of National Christian Academy in Fort Washington, Md., Ewing Jr. had originally considered attending Georgetown before deciding on Indiana. As a senior in high school, Ewing Jr. was a Washington Post All-Met selection and averaged 19 points, 12 rebounds and nearly three blocks per game.

Ewing Jr. played for Marietta High School in Georgia before transferring to National Christian Academy for his senior season. In Georgia, Ewing Jr. played with former Hoya Matt Causey on the Georgia Stars AAU team in the summer of 2002.

Ewing Jr. announced his intention to transfer from Indiana in arch, expressing it was in his “best interests to pursue [his] education and basketball career at another school.”

Ewing Jr. is the first men’s basketball transfer from a Division I institution to Georgetown since 1970. In the last three seasons Georgetown has seen players transfer the other direction, with guards Causey, Tony Bethel and Drew Hall all leaving the Hoyas for other universities.

Ewing Jr. was also considering transferring to the University of iami (Fla.) and the University of North Carolina, his father said.

Under NCAA rules, Ewing Jr. will have to sit out the 2005-06 season.

When asked about his son having to play under his shadow at Georgetown, Ewing said he was not worried.

“He has had to live and play with my name all of his life.”