FACULTY AFFAIRS Dr. Ikenberry Selected as First Krogh Professor

Georgetown University’s Walsh School of Foreign Service inaugurated Dr. G. John Ikenberry as the first Peter F. Krogh Professor of Geopolitics and Justice in World Affairs Oct. 2.

Dr. Peter Krogh, for whom the chair is named, served as the Dean of the SFS from 1970 to 1995. He currently holds the rank of dean emeritus and distinguished professor of international affairs.

Krogh developed the chair to recognize geopolitics and to highlight justice and world affairs.

Ikenberry comes to Georgetown from Princeton University and most recently from the University of Pennsylvania. “He’s cutting edge in terms of his position in international relations and his work has a very durable theoretical content,” SFS Dean Robert Gallucci said. “John Ikenberry is a perfect fit for Georgetown and what we are trying to accomplish.”

“Georgetown for the last two or three years tried to request John Ikenberry as a rising star. His research and writing are at the intersection of geopolitics and world affairs. He was out of central casting for the chair,” Krogh said.

John A. McCrane (SFS ’49), a private financier, wanted to do something for his alma mater and was impressed with Krogh’s 25-year contribution to the school. He said he wanted to honor Krogh and make a substantial contribution to the SFS, especially in the field of geopolitics. McCrane endowed the Krogh Chair in 1999 with a gift of $2 million.

In establishing the Krogh Chair, McCrane honors his former professor of geopolitics, Edmund A. Walsh, S.J., who founded the school in 1919.

Gallucci said, “we created a chair which would attract John Ikenberry, a world renowned political theorist, and at the same time honor Peter Krogh for his contribution to the SFS.”

As Krogh Professor, John Ikenberry will be teaching international relations courses for SFS at the graduate and undergraduate level and is expected to be the director of the new ortara Center for international relations studies.

According to Gallucci, the chair also honors John Ikenberry for his incredible publication record in the field of international relations. His newest book, After Victory: Institutions, Strategic Restraint and the Rebuilding of Order After Major Wars, has been widely published.

Krogh said, “I’m confident that his new position will enable him to continue publishing.”