Fall Crime Reports Rise By 20 Percent

With reported crime up 20 percent this semester compared to the same time last year, several students have said that they have noticed an increase in Department of Public Safety patrols in Henle Village, the site of several recent burglaries.

According to the DPS incident log, since the beginning of the semester, a total of 152 crimes – the total including all alcohol and drug violations, thefts, burglaries, robberies, assaults, property damage and disorderly conduct – have been reported to DPS. In the same time period last year, a total of 127 crimes were reported.

Several burglaries have been reported to DPS since the beginning of the year, including four in Henle apartments last week, resulting in thousands of dollars of stolen student property. The DPS crime log reports 72 total thefts, burglaries and robberies since the beginning of this semester, a small increase from last year’s reported 70.

“The recent burglaries and thefts we’ve seen on campus are unfortunate examples of the fact that crimes can and do occur on campus and why students and all of us must remain vigilant about safety,” said university spokesperson Julie Bataille. “Historically at this time of year, there are increases of these kinds of crimes on and off campus.”

Sarah Jones (COL ’09), a resident of Henle, said she has seen an increase in DPS officers patrolling Henle, especially on weekends. Still, she said she thought more officers would be necessary for Henle to be protected.

“Henle is pretty big; you can’t just have two guards,” Jones said, referring to the recently increased DPS patrols students have reported seeing regularly in Henle.

According to Bataille, DPS is continuing routine patrols, which include checking doors to make sure they are locked.

“DPS regularly includes door checks as part of their routine patrols and provides door hangers as reminders for students about the importance of locking doors. In addition, the Department of Facilities regularly conducts checks of external doors to promptly address maintenance issues that may be necessary,” Bataille said.

DPS Director Darryl Harrison did not respond to repeated attempts for comment.

Vice President for University Safety Rocco DelMonaco was not available for comment.

Some residents have blamed malfunctioning external doors for recent burglaries on campus. A broken lock was faulted in two burglaries of the same Nevils apartment since the beginning of the year and a series of Henle Village burglaries last month.

Kiera Bloore (SFS ’10), who lives in a Henle apartment, said the door at the entrance to her Henle building does not serve to keep non-residents from entering.

“The door to my entry way can be opened without a GOCard. So basically anyone has access to our stairwell,” she said.

Some students said they are taking extra precautions to protect themselves and their possessions.

Dena Soffer (COL ’11) said she feels secure on Georgetown’s campus.

“I live in Darnall and I have to walk back from the library late at night, and I have always felt safe. You just have to be careful,” she said.

Still, Bataille said students can be more vigilant when it comes to their safety.

“The Student Safety Advisory Board has been working in partnership with the Office of University Safety and DPS to remind students to do their part to lock doors and windows and secure their valuables,” she said. “There are a number of safety reminders included in every public safety alert issued to the campus community that we hope individuals will take seriously as steps they can take to increase their own personal safety and that of their property.”