Farewell Begins at Convocation

As the senior class gathered in McDonough Gymnasium for Senior Convocation Thursday afternoon, the theme of the day – echoed in senior reflections and the convocation address – was change.

Pamela Nwaoko (COL ’10), Lukasz Swiderski (SFS ’10) and Jennifer Howitt Browning (SFS ’05) discussed both personal change and effecting change in the world in their remarks. Swiderski linked the two, explaining how his experiences at Georgetown have inspired him to create intangible changes.

“We need to use what we’ve known to [shape] the world,” Swiderski said.

Nwaoko started her senior reflection by discussing the inner-city environment in her home state of New Jersey. She said she would like to return and change the lives of the people there, or those in similar situations.

Recounting the story of her unsuccessful bid at a Truman Scholarship, Nwaoko said she remained optimistic.

“I thought I only had one chance in life like my inner-city peers. But you can fail and still have a chance to succeed,” Nwaoko said. “I stand before you today with a Georgetown degree, one that has already begun to open doors.”

Nwaoko finished by issuing two challenges. The first, addressed to the administration, to continue supporting diversity at Georgetown, was met with a round of applause from the audience. The second was to her fellow students.

“Find a youth you can mentor. You can change their lives, end their invisibility – Your voice can echo [for them] in their most difficult situation . you can remind them that they too have a chance, a real chance,” she said, concluding her speech.

Browning took up the theme of influencing others in her convocation address. She discussed how she felt prepared to take on the world after graduating Georgetown with a Rhodes Scholarship. As she began to work, however, she said she often doubted herself and her work at a non-profit aiming to improve the lives of those with disabilities in under-developed nations.

Relating anecdotes from her experiences running a program for disabled children in Uganda, Browning said she often felt discouraged by the hardships she witnessed. But the positive feedback of one girl in the program shifted her perspective.

“I am not powerless . change is possible,” Browning said, recalling the child’s affirmation that the program inspired her to realize anything is possible. “My fears haven’t gone away. Sometimes there is nothing I can do, but I shouldn’t just pack up and walk away. I used to worry I wasn’t doing enough, but now I know that’s not true.”

Browning ended by saying that all the members of the class of 2010 before her could do the same.

“All of you will change the world, one person at a time,” she said.

According to statistics provided by University Provost James O’Donnell in his opening remarks, the class of 2010 has already realized a number of achievements. Members of the class have participated in 350 performances, 65 students have taken on leadership roles in the Center for Social Justice, 46 are entering Teach For America next year and many have won some of the nation’s most prestigious fellowships. But the most noteworthy characteristic of the graduating class, according to O’Donnell, was its academic passion.

“I congratulate you on your academic zeal, so guided by the light shining from the beacon of learning,” O’Donnell said to much laughter and applause from the seniors.

The seniors were also congratulated by University President John J. DeGioia on their impending commencement. While there was a note of sadness, the general sentiment of the event was hopeful.

“With a Georgetown degree, you and I can dream and achieve,” Nwaoko said.”