Faster Huskies Run Past Hoyas

Perhaps that explains why Connecticut’s men’s soccer team is on a six-game unbeaten streak. Connecticut’s latest triumph came on Saturday against Georgetown, as the Huskies used their quickness to defeat the Hoyas 3-1.

“We lost the game off of three counter-attacks,” Head Coach Brian Wiese said. “They’re fast as lightning up top. You turn it over and give them that kind of space to run at you, and you’re going to have a hard time.”

The loss drops Georgetown to 3-6-0 on the season, 2-3-0 in Big East conference play. Connecticut improves to 5-2-2 on the year and 4-0-1 in the Big East.

In the first half, neither team was able to generate much of an offensive attack. The Hoyas limited the defending Big East champions to four shots, but only managed three shots of their own.

“I thought the guys came out with a positive mentality and an aggressive mentality,” Wiese said. “They wanted to take the game to UConn.”

Georgetown junior goalkeeper Joe Devine was active in front of the net in the first half, jumping out to intercept every Connecticut cross that came his way. In the 39th minute, Devine made a diving interception of a low pass by Connecticut junior forward Ryan Cordeiro directly in front of the goal’s left post.

“We were concerned at the half that Georgetown could nip a goal,” Connecticut Head Coach Ray Reid said. “But we thought we could score against them.”

Devine made his first mistake five minutes into the second half when he got caught out of position. Connecticut junior forward Chukwudi Chijindu found himself with the ball in front of a wide open goal, but his shot went over the crossbar. Chijindu collapsed to the ground in disbelief after he failed to capitalize on the golden opportunity.

The Huskies’ frustration did not last long, as sophomore midfielder O’Brian White put Connecticut on the scoreboard two minutes later. As Devine charged toward White in the middle of the penalty area, he made a move to his left and deposited the ball into the goal’s lower left corner.

“He caught me by surprise there,” Devine said. “I thought he was going to shoot it but he pulled it back and went around me.”

The Huskies added to their lead four and a half minutes later with a spectacular goal off of a corner kick. Connecticut midfielder Akeem Priestley sent the corner kick to the far post, where White headed the ball toward the middle of the penalty area. Rising above a crowd of Georgetown defenders, Chijindu slammed the ball with his head into the lower left corner of the net.

The Hoyas cut the 2-0 deficit in half in the 65th minute. Georgetown freshman midfielder Scott Larrabee drew a foul in the penalty box, setting up a penalty kick for senior forward and co-captain Ricky Schramm. Schramm notched his team-leading fifth goal of the season with a hard shot into the goal’s lower right corner.

“I thought that was the spark that would turn the game around,” Schramm said.

But the Huskies struck again in the 77th minute. After stealing a Georgetown pass near midfield, Connecticut freshman forward Euan Holden sent the ball to Chijindu, who stood about 30 yards from the goal in the middle of the field. Chijindu immediately passed the ball back to Holden, who was racing Georgetown sophomore midfielder Hunter Joslin along the left sideline. Chijindu’s pass caught Holden in stride, and Holden was able to get enough velocity on his shot to beat Devine to the top right corner of the goal.

“UConn just played really well,” Devine said. “They figured out how to get behind us in the second half.”

“They took advantage of their opportunities and we didn’t defend well enough and we didn’t finish our chances,” Schramm said.

Both teams took 12 shots and had five corner kicks in the game.

Georgetown played without senior defender and co-captain Tim Convey, who has a tweaked hamstring. His status is day-to-day.

“Losing Convey today is a big loss because in a game like this you need experience,” Wiese said. “We had two very young central backs who fought hard and did well, but you lose the captaincy of [Convey], you lose the experience he has, you lose his ability to organize.”

“[Convey] is our captain,” freshman defender Len Coleman said. “He helps us out a lot back there. He’s definitely our vocal leader.”

Despite Georgetown’s losing record, Wiese said he is pleased with the effort the Hoyas have shown this season.

“For a 3-6 team, they never feel like they’re out of it, which I’m very proud of,” Wiese said. “I still think we’re a much better team than our record indicates.”

In another Big East match, the Hoyas will face a talented Seton Hall team on Wednesday at 3 p.m. on North Kehoe Field. Seton Hall (6-3-0, 4-1-0) is 21st in the latest NSCAA/Adidas national rankings.

“We’re overdue for a good win,” Wiese said.