Few Renovations For Dining Hall

Image Contributor
;

After promises that O’Donovan Hall would be getting a facelift over winter break, students returned to campus earlier this week to find few changes in the dining hall. University spokesperson Andrea Fereshteh did not offer any reasons for the lack of renovations, which have been in the works since ARAMARK Higher Education took over dining hall operations on July 1. Renovations were scheduled to begin last month, and construction was planned to be well underway by the beginning of the spring semester. University spokesperson Julie Bataille said in July that dining hall renovations would begin immediately after the fall semester. This week, however, O’Donovan Hall appeared largely the same – its only noticeable changes are a new “wrap bar” on the lower level of the dining hall, and work that has been done to replace the front doors. “No new renovations are taking place at the facility at this time. What you may be seeing is construction to replace the doors,” Fereshteh said. Karen Cutler, director of communications for ARAMARK, could not be reached for comment. Associate Vice President for Auxiliary Services Margie Bryant declined to comment on the delay. According to Bataille last summer, the top level would be transformed into six serving locations with different themes, including a Latin station, a Mediterranean kitchen, an Asian/Mongolian grill, a stand serving fresh produce and American-style food, a bake shop and a beverage station. She said that the lower level, which would be known as “Leo’s Down-Under,” would contain four more dining options – Barracas Italian Bistro, Rolling Pin Coffeehouse, Lean & Green and Leo’s Diner, which would serve breakfast all day. The plan also called for additional Grab-n-Go locations around campus, which have not been implemented. Students this week said they have seen very few improvements to the dining hall. “The new wrap line is pretty cool, but I haven’t noticed much else,” Leah Robbins (NHS ’11) said. “The new door is pretty, but that’s about it,” Jon-Michael LaGray (COL ’11) said. Bataille previously attributed the expansion plan to requests from students for increased dining options. But several students expressed disappointment in ARAMARK’s proposed menu expansions, which took place at the beginning of this academic year. Caitlin Chen (COL ’08) said that she expected a wider variety of healthy foods. “They said they were going to have healthier options, but they got rid of the grilled chicken,” she said. “Now all they have is fried food.”