FIELD HOCKEY Bruggeman’s Goal Seals Overtime Win

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Senior Aubrey Bruggeman (shown in previous action) scored the game-winner Thursday against Towson.

Senior Aubrey Bruggeman’s game-winning goal 40 seconds into overtime gave the Georgetown field hockey team its fourth consecutive victory as it defeated Towson 3-2 Thursday.

The game had originally been scheduled for Sept. 11, but was rescheduled due to the terrorist attacks on Washington, D.C., and New York.

The teams struggled offensively for the first 53 minutes of the match, unable to break a scoreless tie. However, with 16:55 remaining in regulation, Georgetown senior Bridget McConnell broke the deadlock with a goal off a penalty corner to put the Hoyas up 1-0. Bruggeman tallied her first point of the day on the play, assisting on the goal along with sophomore Leanne Rizzo.

The Hoyas (4-2) couldn’t hold on to their lead for long, as the Tigers (3-9) answered on a goal by freshman Julie Lambi less than two minutes later. Lambi struck again with 13:32 left in regulation to put Towson ahead 2-1. Freshman Ashley Bacon assisted on the goal.

Georgetown rallied to tie the score with 6:33 remaining as cConnell scored her second goal of the game, again off of a penalty corner. Sophomore Shelby Samperton had the assist, her third of the year.

The teams closed out regulation deadlocked at two goals apiece.

In overtime, Bruggeman quickly clinched the win for the Hoyas, stealing a pass at midfield, beating a defender and scoring on a spin move to tally the game winner.

Junior goalie Jessica Herring had six saves to keep the Hoyas in the game, while Towson goalie Loren Wolf had four.

Towson outshot Georgetown 13-10.

Georgetown will look to extend its winning streak to five games today as the Hoyas take on Appalachian State on Kehoe Field at 3:30 p.m.

Team Schedules/Rosters 2001 Feild Hockey Schedule