FIELD HOCKEY Hoyas Notch Third Win in a Row

FIELD HOCKEY Hoyas Notch Third Win in a Row By Julie Wood Hoya Staff Writer

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Junior goalkeeper Jessica Herring saves VCU’s penalty stroke to preserve the Hoyas’ lead.

The Georgetown women’s field hockey team won its third-straight game against Virginia Commonwealth University Saturday, with sophomore forward Leeanne Rizzo scoring twice in the 3-1 victory.

Georgetown has faced several setbacks so far this season; after starting off with two losses, the team had several games canceled due to the terrorist attacks and recent inclement weather. However, the Hoyas have managed to get back on track of late, raising their overall record to 3-2.

“I was very happy with today,” Georgetown Head Coach Laurie Carrol said.

Rizzo’s two goals, her third and fourth on the season, were both assisted by sophomore defender Elena Elster. The first came 11 minutes into the matchup, with Elster crossing the ball in front of the goal to Rizzo, who put it past Rams sophomore goalkeeper Abbie Stiles. Rizzo’s second goal came with 10 minutes left in the first half, when Elster directed her penalty corner shot to Rizzo and she scored to put the Hoyas up for good.

The Hoyas also scored their second goal after a penalty corner, with sophomore defender Lauren Galbally passing to junior forward ichaela Brown. It was Brown’s first goal of the season. The Hoyas dominated offensively in the first half, taking six shots to VCU’s one.

“I thought we had great speed with the ball. I thought we had a great passing game. Our transition was excellent,” Carroll said.

The Hoyas used the midfield of Elster, senior Aubrey Bruggeman, sophomore Shelby Samperton and senior Bridget McConnell to push the ball from defense to offense and create scoring opportunities.

“I thought our midfield played great. I asked them before the game for the midfield to really be our key to transition, to set the pace and to give us a lot of energy in the midfield, and I think that they did do that,” Carroll said.

The Rams’ one opportunity to make the game close came off a one-on-one penalty stroke, which was saved spectacularly by Hoya junior goalie Jessica Herring. Herring had six saves in the game.

However, in the second half, the Rams came out with a bit more resolve and started getting more offensive opportunities.

“We had breakdowns maybe where we allowed them to get something, to go on attack really. All that happened is we allowed them to go on attack. But ultimately I felt like we stopped them and stepped up to the ball,” Carroll said.

The Rams did score when the referee called the second penalty stroke of the game, a rare occurrence in field hockey. Herring, who had been on the turf saving shots a moment earlier, was unable to save junior forward Tavris Parker’s perfectly-placed shot.

“That save she made on the stroke was just amazing, and the second stroke was just a perfect stroke,” Carroll said. “She’s just such a leader on the defense. If we did give VCU an opportunity, she made sure that she was in charge of that defense and that they took care of it.”

The Hoyas will look to continue their winning streak Friday against Appalachian State at 3:30 p.m. on Kehoe Field.

Team Schedules/Rosters 2001 Feild Hockey Schedule