FIELD HOCKEY Quakers Halt Hoyas’ Win Streak at Eight

Sometimes a minute can make all the difference.

The Georgetown field hockey team found this out, as it lost 2-1 to the University of Pennsylvania Wednesday, ending its winning streak of eight games and bringing its overall record to 8-3.

The Hoyas fought hard to tie the match after going down 1-0, only to have the Quakers score the goal-winner less than a minute later.

“We really played the best hockey we’ve played – except for one minute,” Head Coach Laurie Carroll said.

The first half saw even play from both teams. Neither squad was able to score despite a number of opportunities. The Hoyas got two shots off inside the circle and took two penalty corners, while the Quakers had three shots and four corners.

In the second half, Penn was able to get past Hoya junior keeper Jessica Herring, as it scored on the deflection off a penalty corner shot. Senior forward Nikki Battiste put Penn up 1-0 at the 27:38 mark.

But the Hoya offense responded positively to the Penn goal. “Once Penn scored on us, we played a lot better – with more intensity and more urgency,” Carroll said.

Three minutes later, sophomore midfielder Elena Elster scored on a penalty corner shot assisted by senior midfielder Aubrey Bruggeman and sophomore forward Leeanne Rizzo.

“It was one of the nicest corners we’ve had all year,” Carroll said. The corner unit of Elster, Bruggeman and Rizzo has contributed eight of the Hoyas’ 24 goals on the season. Elster leads the teams in points with 22 on nine goals and two assists.

However, immediately after the penalty corner goal came the minute that made the difference in the game.

“We got on our heels right after we scored,” Caroll said, “and we let them come down immediately, and it’s a lesson that hopefully will help us for the rest of the season.”

Quaker freshman forward Liz Lorelli knocked in a pass from Battiste to give the Quakers back the lead.

“From the time Penn scored their first goal, we dominated the game, with the exception of that one minute. The only regret I have from that game is one minute of play. We played the best hockey we’ve ever played after Penn scored on us, and Penn was one of the best teams that we’ve seen,” Carroll said.

The Hoyas continued to have scoring opportunities after Penn got the go-ahead goal, but they were unable to find the net. “We felt like we put ourselves in a position to win the game. We felt like we were earning corners and we were getting opportunities, and we couldn’t get a break,” Carroll said.

Quaker sophomore goalie Carrie Wilhelm had five saves, while Herring had seven.

“Obviously, it hurts to lose, but we weren’t upset with our effort. We know that we gave one of our best efforts of the season,” Carroll said.

The Hoyas will return home to face Ursinus College next Sunday at 1 p.m. on Kehoe Field.

Team Schedules/Rosters 2001 Feild Hockey Schedule