Fifteen Qualify For Post-Season Meets

Georgetown’s men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams qualified eight men, seven women and four relay teams for post-season competition.

In a quad meet at Navy, in which the Hoyas competed against the idshipmen, Virginia Commonwealth and LaSalle, the men’s team recorded a second place finish, scoring 161 points on the day. The host Midshipmen tallied 214 points to edge the Hoyas for the title. Eight Georgetown athletes met IC4A individual qualifying standards in the competition.

One of the strongest performances came in the mile run, where the team took four of the top six spots, including junior Chris iltenberg’s winning mark of 4:08.01. Senior Corey Smith came in second, timing 4:10.84, and senior David Rodriguez and sophomore Daniel Tebbano took fifth and sixth. Miltenberg and Smith’s times met IC4A Championship standards.

Georgetown took the top two spots in the 1000-meter run and the 500-meter dash as well.

In the 1000-meter run, senior All-American Isidro Pimentel (2:28.86) and sophomore George O’Loughlin (2:29.42) ran one and two, both meeting the IC4A mark of 2:30.00. The Hoyas qualified another runner in the 500-meter dash, as junior Michael Williams timed 1:05.00 for a first place finish. Freshman Matthew Lewis was the runner-up in the 500, but fell 0.71 seconds short of meeting the IC4A standard.

Sophomore Robert Wingate-Robinson, who qualified for the IC4A Championship in the 400-meter dash last weekend at the Rutgers Invitational, timed 49.43 on Saturday to win the race for the second week in a row.

The men’s one mile relay and distance medley relay teams won their races, with the distance medley team also qualifying for the IC4A Championship.

Senior Kyle Smits, a leading cross-country runner, logged 8:20.62 in the 3000-meter run for runner-up honors. The effort met the IC4A standard of 8:29.80.

Georgetown also fared well in the field events. Junior Davin Williams led the way, winning the long jump, placing fourth in the high jump and qualifying for the IC4A’s in the triple jump.

Graduate student Sean Flynn, an All-American in the hammer throw, took second place honors in the 35-lb. weight throw and met the IC4A standard with a mark of 56’09.50. Flynn also took seventh in the shot put, where his teammate, senior Lars Siegfried, notched a second place finish with a toss of 47’06.25.

On the women’s side at Virginia Tech meet, which was based on individual performances rather than team scoring, seven women and three relay teams qualified for the ECAC’s. In addition, two individual efforts met NCAA Championship provisional standards.

Sophomore Erin Sicher took first in the mile run, timing 4:48.37 to win the field of 21 competitors. The race made Sicher a provisional qualifier for the NCAA Championship.

Senior Sasha Spencer also met NCAA provisional requirements with a third place, 54.61 time in the 400-meter dash. Junior Tyrona Heath took twelfth and qualified for the ECAC Championship in the same race.

The Hoyas had two ECAC qualifiers in the 800-meter run, where sophomore Jill Laurendeau and senior Heather Blackard timed 2:11.83 and 2:13.63 to take eighth and ninth, respectively, and meet ECAC standards.

Senior Emily Enstice, who has already earned an NCAA provisional bid, recorded 9:44.26 for second place in the 3000-meter run.

Three women’s relay teams also posted championship-level times. The 4 x 400-meter and distance medley relay teams both recorded third place finishes and the 4 x 800-meter team took fourth. All three performances met ECAC requirements.

The Hoyas were somewhat underrepresented in the field events, but still managed an ECAC bid from junior Brionne Dawson’s tenth place effort in the triple jump.

The women’s team, which is currently ranked sixteenth in the nation, will rejoin the men and travel to State College, Pa. next weekend for the Penn State Invitational.

Related Links

Track Page