‘Flash Mobs’ Encourage Tolerance, Acceptance

In response to what some groups said are increasing incidents of intolerance, a coalition of student groups launched a two-week campaign last week to raise awareness about prejudice on the Hilltop.

The annual effort, known as the Diversity Campaign, will feature groups of concerned students called “flash mobs” passing out flyers at sites around campus where students say they have experienced intolerance.

GU Pride, the Korean Student Association and the Asian-American Students Association have each hosted flash mobs in the past week, with the Black Student Alliance and the MECHa de Georgetown scheduled to hold similar gatherings this week.

Linda Ichiyama (SFS ’07), the campaign’s organizer, said that she hopes the flash mobs help raise awareness about bias on campus, much of which she said goes unreported.

“Bias-related incidents happen, and they shouldn’t,” she said. “Georgetown should be a safe place for everybody, but it isn’t.”

Ichiyama said that most of the reported incidents have consisted of verbal abuse, although several have also included physical assault and property damage.

Shamisa Zvoma (MSB ’08), president of GU Pride, said that the group sponsored two flash mobs this week. On Monday night, students gathered in front of O’Donovan Hall, where she said one student was called a “fag” earlier this year. On Wednesday, members of the campaign met outside of New South protesting the September assault of Kevin Bowles (COL ’09), an openly gay student.

About seven or eight members of Pride participated in the flash mob on Monday, but only two were present Tuesday, Zvoma said.

Karen Jung (MSB ’08), co-vice president of KSA, said that approximately 10 students in KSA joined members of AASA yesterday afternoon in front of the Walsh Building in response to a reported incident of verbal abuse against two Asian students in January.

“On the outside it seems like there’s no discrimination, but sometimes there is,” Jung said. “I don’t think there’s any specific type of bias towards Koreans.”

Ichiyama said that the campaign also strives to promote the online Bias Reporting System, which was created in September 2004 to allow members of the Diversity Action Council to follow up on reports of bias.

Flyers being passed out during the campaign have been advertising the system, which has been “underused” so far, Ichiyama said.

Jung said she hopes the campaign will foster open dialogue about discrimination on campus and improve awareness of the options for reporting intolerance on campus.

“I think we still have to wait and see what happens,” she said.