Floundering Hoyas Drop Another

Wednesday’s game against Seton Hall was another contest that could have gone either way, but the Hoyas were once again unable to capitalize on scoring opportunities in the second half and fell to Seton Hall 2-1 in overtime at North Kehoe Field.

“It’s going to be tough for the guys to stomach,” Head Coach Brian Wiese said. “It’s the same old story we’ve had this year, but I think even more so in this game. It’s a game we should have won but we let it slip through our fingers.”

Seton Hall senior midfielder Teddy Niziolek scored the game winning goal for the Pirates in the eighth minute of the first overtime session. The loss drops the Hoyas’ record to 3-7-0 on the season and 2-4-0 in Big East play.

The Pirates (7-3-0, 5-1-0) had won six games in the row and were ranked 21st in the NSCAA/Adidas national rankings before they lost to West Virginia 5-3 last Saturday. Seton Hall is currently in first place in the Big East Blue division, while Georgetown stands in seventh place out of eight teams in the same division.

Neither team scored in the first half, but Seton Hall controlled the time of possession. The Pirates outshot the Hoyas 7-5 in the opening period.

“What needed to happen was for us to keep the ball more in the first half,” Wiese said. “But that wasn’t happening. We were forcing things. We would win it and then we would be so hurried to do something when it wasn’t on to do it that we would turn it over again.”

The Hoyas stepped up their offensive attack in the second half. Sophomore defender Alex Pangraze scored the first goal of his college career in the 56th minute to give Georgetown a 1-0 lead. Sophomore midfielder Corey Zeller sent a low corner kick toward the middle of the field and Pangraze blasted it past Seton Hall freshman goalkeeper Paul McHenry.

“We felt there were some weaknesses on their defensive corners that we could take advantage of, and we did,” Wiese said. “The guys executed the goal very well. I didn’t feel we played well until we scored, and after we scored we actually started doing the things we had talked about doing before the game.”

Georgetown had a golden opportunity to take a commanding 2-0 lead in the 78th minute when senior forward Ricky Schramm charged toward McHenry on a breakaway attempt, but McHenry made an excellent save to keep the Pirates’ deficit at one.

“We were the team that was getting behind them,” Wiese said. “We created so many very good opportunities to go up 2-0, which, for me, would have iced the game.”

Despite the Hoyas’ improved play, the Pirates notched a goal of their own in the 80th minute. Senior forward John Raus found a gap in the left side of the Hoya defense and snuck the ball inside the near post from 15 yards out to even the score.

“I thought things were pretty even,” Seton Hall Head Coach Manfred Schellscheidt said. “It comes down to whoever gets the break and who is gutting it out.”

Seton Hall’s game-winner came with just over two minutes remaining in the first overtime period. Raus passed the ball to Niziolek, who hit a high rocket past Georgetown junior goalkeeper Joe Devine from 12 yards out to clinch the Pirates’ victory.

Georgetown outshot Seton Hall 16-13 in the game and held a 9-7 advantage on corner kicks.

“We’re all great at finishing the ball, but it just wasn’t our day today,” Georgetown junior forward Mike Glaccum said. “You don’t want to say that’s what cost us the game, but, in the end, we’ve got to find a way to finish one of those shots.”

The Hoyas will look to capitalize on their scoring opportunities when they take on Providence in Rhode Island on Saturday at 1 p.m.