Flynn, Fogg Lead GU’s Qualifiers

Last weekend, the Georgetown outdoor track team traveled to the Duke Invitational in Durham, N.C. Despite hot weather, the Hoyas posted a host of NCAA provisional marks, including an automatic bid and several first-place performances from both the men’s and women’s teams.

“We wanted to get our feet wet and get a feel for the outdoor season,” Associate Head Coach Andrew Valmon said. “This is to prepare us for Tennessee, Penn Relays, the Big Easts and bigger meets ahead.”

Senior Josh Rollins jumped his way to a first-place mark of 15.75 meters in the triple jump, while senior Sean Flynn won the hammer throw competition with a personal-best throw of 65.84 meters. Both Rollins and Flynn set NCAA provisional marks. Senior Autumn Fogg turned in the only first-place performance for the women as she crossed the line at 4:18.71 in the 1500-meter run. Fogg’s time automatically qualifies her for the NCAAs.

“I think the two key performers were Sean Flynn and Autumn Fogg,” Valmon said. “Flynn went first and he had a big throw that set the tone for the team. Then there was Fogg with her automatic qualifying time.”

Along with his triumphant effort in the triple jump, Rollins also took eighth place in the long jump with a mark of 6.98 meters.

Georgetown’s runners obtained some top-10 finishes against the competition. In the 400-meter race, sophomore James Graham (46.74) and senior Nick Reynolds (47.20) came in eighth and ninth respectively. Junior Brandon Roche (1:50.85) and sophomore Ezra Richards (1:51.43) crossed the line in ninth and 10th for the 800-meter run. Senior Isidro Pimentel took seventh in the 1,500-meters with a time of 3:49.73.

In the women’s 800-meter run, Georgetown’s trio of seniors Sasha Spencer (2:06.19), Nickay Penado (2:07.24) and junior Tyrona Heath (2:07.24) took third, fifth and sixth respectively. Sophomore Jamillah Bowman finished sixth in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:01.50, while sophomore Erin Sicher was third in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 10:57.34.

Georgetown’s trio in the 800-meters made up three-quarters of the women’s second-place 4×400-meter relay team. Spencer, Heath, Penado and Bowman finished in 3:37.03.

The men’s 4×400-meter relay team consisting of sophomore Robert Wingate-Robinson, Reynolds, junior Hakim Johnson and Graham finished in 3:05.56, but were edged out by South Carolina for first place. Georgetown’s men’s distance medley relay team of senior Matt Dunn, junior Matt Henry, sophomore Dan Tebbano and senior Adam Daniels came in seventh with a time of 9:52.17.

Both the men and women’s 4×400-meter relay teams obtained NCAA provisional times.

“In both races, Robert and Sasha did great jobs starting it off,” Valmon said.

The advent of warmer weather at Georgetown should be helpful for the team as it prepares for competition in the Virginia Invitational and North Carolina this Saturday.

“When you think about the cold and academics, you don’t really feel like going up to Kehoe and practicing,” Valmon said. “Now, with the good weather and only two months of school, they’re going to buckle down and get ready.”

Related Links

Track Page