Forum Solicits Student Input on Midnight MUG

Mitch Fox/The Hoya Students gather in Uncommon Grounds Tuesday evening to give their input on the development of the Corp’s latest endeavor, idnight MUG, a new coffee shop to be built in Lauinger Library.

Lauinger Library and the Corp held a forum Tuesday evening to discern the opinion of the Georgetown community on the Midnight UG, a late-night coffee shop that is slated to be the Student of Georgetown, Inc.’s latest venture. The event took place in Uncommon Grounds, with attendance fluctuating between seven to 10 people.

Student response ranged from entertainment suggestions to preferred hours of operation.

“Suggestions regarding different programming events for the space, as well as times and days of the week were made,” Vice President of Operations for the Corp Leslie Baldwin (COL ’04) said. “The issue of the menu and different beverages and food topics was also brought up.”

President of Georgetown Students for Fair Trade Coffee Stephanie Faith Green attended Tuesday’s discussion with two other group members to encourage the use of Fair Trade Coffee at the new venture. “We asked them to be 100 percent Fair Trade certified right off the bat,” Green said. “The librarians were very supportive. Midnight MUG was a little more reserved and said they would look into it . but they seem willing to work with us.”

Uncommon Grounds announced its decision to carry Free Trade coffee earlier this year, following discussions with GSFTC.

Those present also discussed ways to ensure ideal service for both undergraduates and graduates.

Green said the participants also discussed the possibility of poetry sessions and book discussions at the shop. “It would be more of an academic-based coffee shop,” she said.

Uncommon Grounds upper management said the event was successful in generating new ideas for the Midnight MUG and getting feedback from the student body.

“For us, it was a successful first step in developing the community aspect of the Midnight MUG,” Director of the idnight MUG Lauren Moynihan (COL ’03) said. “It is important to both the Corp and Lauinger Library that this room functions as a place where all members of the Georgetown community feel welcome and where there is an outlet for the many creative, intellectual and other talents on campus.

Although there is no specified date for the opening of the coffee shop, it will be on the second floor of Lauinger Library and will be roughly the size of Uncommon Grounds in the Leavey Center. Organizers have tentatively set the opening date for the end of the school year.