French Emissary Urges Cooperation on Iraq

Relations between France and the United States have been through a “diplomatic hurricane” in the past two and a half years, but the past is behind and the two countries are now working together in the global fight against terrorism, according to the French ambassador to the United States.

In a speech in Gaston Hall on Wednesday, Ambassador Jean-David Levitte addressed the state of Franco-U.S. relations as a result of the war on Iraq and the war against terrorism.

“Today, we are confronted by a situation that requires full cooperation,” Levitte said. “France is ready to work hand in hand with the international community, including the U.S., to make Iraq a success story. Peace is possible in the Middle East.”

But Levitte stood by France’s criticism of the United States’ decision to go to war.

“This war was not necessary,” he said. “We believe that there was no imminent threat posed by Iraq. There were no weapons of mass destruction found in Iraq. There was no direct evidence linking Saddam Hussein with al Qaeda.”

Instead of playing the blame game, Levitte said France and the United States should continue to work together with other nations to help the Iraqi people rebuild a strong democracy.

Signaling a thaw in Franco-U.S. relations, President George W. Bush will meet with French President Jacques Chirac while in France on June 5 to participate in ceremonies marking the 60th anniversary of the allies’ World War II Normandy landing.

Differences on Iraq had created tension between the two leaders. Chirac was outraged at the Bush administration’s decision to exclude France and other nations from bidding on Iraqi reconstruction projects.

France has since indicated a willingness to forgive some of Iraq’s debt and the two nations are working together to fight terrorism.

Addressing feelings of ill will against each other for Americans and the French, Levitte expressed his concern with anti-French remarks from the American media and the campaign of disinformation perpetuated by the U.S. government.

At a meeting with Secretary of State Colin Powell last year, Levitte expressed his concern for more than 300,000 French living in the United States.

“I told Secretary Powell that these statements were destroying the image of France and also creating animosity towards the U.S. in France,” Levitte said. “I told him that we have better things to do than trade insults.”

Levitte invited the audience to take a trip to France and see that the mood is not anti-American. “You will find that you will be welcomed as friends,” he reassured.

“If you return feeling otherwise,” he added, “come and see me on the other side of Reservoir Road,” noting the French Embassy’s close proximity to Georgetown University.

The French department sponsored the event.