Fresh Season, Fresh Faces

Every recruiting season, Georgetown men’s lacrosse Head Coach Dave Urick tries to bring in top national talent to boost his already capable roster. Rarely trying to fill specific positions, Urick instead looks for the most versatile, hardest-working players the nation has to offer.

“We go into every recruiting season knowing what we need, but we still try to get the best players we can,” Urick said.

“Many of this year’s freshmen are very versatile,” he continued. “Those who will see action this season will likely be playing positions they didn’t play in high school.”

Leading the list of flexible new Hoyas is Jake Samperton, a high school attacker who will likely see action as a midfielder this spring.

“Jake Samperton has made a smooth transition from attack to midfield,” Urick said. “He picks things up quickly, and we want to be able to take advantage of his offensive production and get him on the field.”

Samperton, one of four recruits hailing from the Landon School, a District-area powerhouse, scored 40 goals and notched 13 assists as an attacker last year. His senior performance earned him several honors, including a nomination to the all-Met first team by the Washington Post and an all-American distinction by U.S. Lacrosse.

Urick also points to Todd Cochran and Chris Taylor as freshmen who will see time at different positions. Both midfielders, Urick expects each to help the team as defensive midfielders this spring.

“Todd Cochran and Chris Taylor are each helping us at defensive middie,” said Urick. “We want them both to get game experience this season, and they will make a contribution.”

Taylor is a U.S. Lacrosse all-American and is the only Hoya recruit hailing from the West Coast, starring at Mercer Island High School, near Seattle. Taylor is a goal-scorer, and perhaps the two biggest were his goals in the 2005 U.S. Lacrosse National Showcase game.

Georgetown’s freshman class of defenders is regarded as one of the nation’s top groups of defensive recruits. Led by Brennan Kelly, Phil Mufarrij and Scott Smith, the newcomers will provide speed and stability to the Hoyas’ already sound defensive lineup.

Kelly is the most touted recruit in this year’s class of defensemen. Leading the McDonough Eagles (Baltimore, Md.) to a 22-1 record and a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference title as a senior, Kelly was recognized by the Baltimore Sun as the Maryland player of the year in June 2005 and was also named to the 2005 all-American team by U.S. Lacrosse.

Kelly, the first defenseman to be named Maryland player of the year since 1997, could keep the Hoyas’ defensive zone strong in the future. While still recovering from knee surgery last fall, Kelly’s speed, size and superior stick-handling will prove a valuable asset to Assistant Coach Matt Rienzo’s defensive unit when he fully recuperates.

“He’s doing great,” Urick said of Kelly’s rehabilitation. “Rehabbing is a difficult and lonely thing to do, but he is working extremely hard to get back to playing shape. The trainers are very optimistic.”

Urick added that no decision has yet been made about whether Kelly will sit out the season as a redshirt.

Smith and Mufarrij are also Landon products. Smith, who showed true grit by playing most of his senior season with a hamstring injury, will undoubtedly bring toughness to the Georgetown defense in the future.

Despite only boasting two incoming players at attack, Georgetown’s freshman duo earned the distinction as one of Inside Lacrosse’s top-five attack classes. Joining Samperton is Jordan Loftus, a quick player with good stick skills.

This year’s freshman class of midfielders will bring speed and versatility to the Georgetown lacrosse squad. Anchored by Cullen Molinari, Stoddert Nibley and Taylor, and with Samperton potentially moving to midfield from attack, this group is laden with award-winners and will be the foundation for the future of the Hoya program.

Molinari is the cream of the crop, recognized by Inside Lacrosse as one of 2005’s recruits to watch at midfield. Named to U.S. Lacrosse’s all-America team as a senior at Manhasset High School in New York, Molinari is a dominant goal-scorer, scoring 37 as a senior, and a face-off master, winning over 80 percent of his face-offs in 2005.

Nibley is another Inside Lacrosse midfielder to watch. He has goal-scoring potential and will bring speed and agility to the Hoyas’ midfield.

The veterans may be the glue that hold the 2006 Hoyas together, but look for the freshmen to be important pieces of what Georgetown hopes is a championship puzzle.