From Hilltop to Capitol Hill

It’s not every day that you get to watch the president sign a bill.

But Justin Lepscier (MSB ’08) accomplished such a feat last week by attending the signing of the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007. The bill, which Lepscier supported in testimony to Education Secretary Margaret Spellings in March, will increase funding for Federal Pell Grants by more than $11 billion over the next five years, and increase the maximum Pell awarded from $4,310 in 2007 to $5,400 by 2012.

In an interview with THE HOYA, Lepscier discusses his hopes for the new law and his interest in education policy.

Who attended the ceremony? Were there other students present?

There were a few students who attended the ceremony, but mostly it was members of the Department of Education, and of course the president. We were able to witness the president’s signing a bill after he made a little speech that was approximately 20 minutes long.

How were you able to attend this event?

I was able to be a part of this event through the Department of Education. I have been working for the Secretary of Education’s Higher Education Summit, where I gave a speech in arch of this year in favor of this bill. In June I also gave another speech at Capitol Hill for a Student Aid Alliance breakfast.

How did you get involved with the Department of Education? Are you interested in government?

I began working for the Department of Education during first semester of last year. I am interested in government, and I would possibly like to work for the government at some point. That is why I initially got involved with the Department of Education, an area of the government that I am also particularly interested in.

How will this bill help students who are struggling financially with paying for college?

The purpose of this new bill is to increase the money going toward the Pell Grant over five years – I think it is. This helps low-income students who have financial issues, and the money that goes toward funding their tuition will increase each year under this bill. It will ultimately give over $11 billion toward aiding these students.

Why do you think Congress and the president chose to pass this bill?

These grants will help a lot of students pay for college, which has become increasingly expensive. It is an important resource for students who wish to further their education and would not be able to do so without financial aid.

And does this bill affect you, specifically?

I am a Pell Grant recipient myself, so this bill definitely will be helping me out as well. If I had not received a Pell Grant I wouldn’t have come to Georgetown. I don’t know where else I would have gone instead.

Does the bill affect other Georgetown students?

Yes, there are definitely other Pell Grant recipients at Georgetown, but I’m exactly not sure how many.

How do students qualify for Pell Grants? Have the qualifications changed?

Pell Grants apply to students who qualify for financial aid, and they are awarded through FAFSA [Free Application for Federal Student Aid]. As far as I know the application process has not changed, the new law just consists of an increase in the amount of Pell Grants that each student receives, which is a big help.

Why did you become involved in the initiative? Why is an increase in Pell Grant funding such an important issue for you?

I am personally affected by the issue, and I realize it affects others as well. I wanted to help others be able to benefit from the increased funding of the grants and be able to have access to further education.

Where are you from and what are you studying at Georgetown?

I am originally from Wisconsin. At Georgetown I am a Management major in the McDonough School of Business.

With graduation approaching, any career aspirations?

As of now, I don’t have any specific plans for after college. I may go on to graduate school to get an MBA. At the moment, I work with a consulting company called Master Key Consulting in Bethesda, Md. I work in the Corporate Information and Technology department and I really enjoy the work. They do a lot of government consulting, which I am interested in, and I like that it is a Native American-owned company since I am Native American.