GEC Gears Up for Annual Homecoming Ball

The head of the Georgetown Events Committee will take additional precautions in planning this year’s homecoming formal, after unruly behavior at last year’s function left the group saddled with thousands of dollars in damages.

Fritz Brogan (COL ’07), chairman of the GEC, said that he was embarrassed by last year’s Georgetown Homecoming Formal, during which many students became rowdy and left damages to the club. The City Tavern Club on M Street asked for $6,500 in compensation for the mess that was left.

“The only time in my life that I was ashamed to be a Hoya was when I had to deal with the aftermath of the embarrassing behavior of a few drunken students and alumni at last year’s event,” Brogan said.

Brogan said that the GEC, with the help of the Student Activities Commission and the Homecoming Planning Committee, has already taken several steps to prevent a repeat of last year. The group has budgeted several thousand dollars for private security, hired off-duty police officers to man the event and reduced the amount of time that the bar will be open. He added that all guests will have to sign a waiver form to receive admittance.

Last year’s formal attracted nearly 700 guests, even though the club had only agreed to security precautions for 400.

The formal will take place on Nov. 3 at Tony and Joe’s restaurant at Washington Harbor. “We are taking significant measures to ensure that this year’s event is both safe and fun,” Brogan said.

But the GEC will be barred from selling tickets in Red Square or promoting its event on campus. Martha Swanson, director of student programs, said that, as a “commercially profitable group,” the GEC it is not endorsed by the university. She said that last year’s event further strained relations with the group.

“Whether they did last year or not, I don’t know,” she said about the GEC selling tickets in Red Square. “But after what happened last year they certainly can’t.”

Proceeds from last year’s event were donated to Georgetown’s Lombardi Cancer Center.

Brogan said that he accepts the university’s hesitation to give the GEC more promoting privileges on campus after what happened last year.

“I completely understand where the Student Activities Commission is coming from,” he said. “I am confident that we will find a compromise on the event.”

Brogan said that the GEC has already sold over 400 tickets for this year’s event. He said that proceeds from the event, which he hopes will reach $10,000, will go to either the Senior Class Gift Fund or the Hoya Hoop Club.