Georgetown AEPi Fraternity to Direct First Annual ‘Underwear Run’ to Benefit Homeless

Georgetown University’s chapter of Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity recently announced its first annual Underwear Run to benefit the Washington, D.C.-area homeless population. The event, scheduled for this Friday, will encourage students to donate as much clothing as possible and then run a lap around the campus.

“The AEPi Underwear Run will be an opportunity for all the students of the Georgetown community to come together and have a great time for a charitable cause,” fraternity President Dan Shaffer (MSB ’03) said. “Hopefully this event will generate a really positive response from the students and become a tradition at Georgetown for years to come.”

The funds collected and clothing donated will all be donated to the Community for Creative Non-Violence, a service homeless shelter serving the D.C. area for over 25 years. According to its official Web site, the CCNV is a “shelter for 1,350 homeless men and women offering, directly or through its service providers, a full array of social services; drug and alcohol rehabilitation; medical, mental health and dental care; and cultural activities.”

The Underwear Run kicks off at 8:30 p.m. in Red Square. Students may take off as many articles of clothing as they would like to donate, as well as bring extra clothing donations with them. T-shirt sales and money received from auctioning off donations from the event’s corporate sponsor, Atlantic Records, will further contribute to the cause.

“While the actual run will only last a few minutes, the money raised and the clothes donated to the CCNV will have far reaching effects for the local homeless population,” Shaffer said.

The Student Association, College Republicans, Campaign Georgetown, Amnesty International, Lecture Fund, the Corp, Georgetown Students for Fair Trade, Mu Chapter of Delta Sigma Pi, Delta Phi Epsilon and the Henle Community Council are all co-sponsoring the event.