Georgetown Aims for the Top This Fall

Over the past several decades, the Georgetown Cross Country team has established itself as a consistently strong performer among the nation’s teams. Last year at the 2004 NCAA meet, the men’s team was primed to place among the top five teams, but conditions hindered the team as the Hoyas fell to 15th place. This year Georgetown is ready to avenge last year’s performance and assert its presence atop the nation.

Despite losing senior star Chris Lukezic to the pro ranks, the men’s team welcomes a slew of new runners in addition to last year’s top runners. Seniors Fleet Hower, Chris Esselborn and Steven Meinelt return from last year’s squad.

Two sophomores will also make their mark on the team. Matt Debole returns to the Hilltop after an impressive first year in which he ran 4:04 in the mile and 8:08.97 in the 3,000 meters. Fellow second-year Dan Nunn won the 5,000m at the PanAm Junior Athletics Championships this summer, posting a time of 14:17.67.

Freshmen Andrew Bumbalough and Levi Miller could have an immediate impact on the squad.

Other Hoyas who are expected to compete for the top seven spots include junior Brian Dalpiaz, sophomores Michael Banks and Justin Scheid.

On the women’s side, sophomore Maggie Infeld leads a strong contingency of runners which includes a number of underclassman. As a freshman, Infeld had an impressive rookie campaign, making the final of the mile at the NCAA national meet.

Junior Liz Maloy will also help lead the team.

“Liz is a great athlete. She’s had great workouts and is healthy,” Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Ron Helmer said.

Sophomore Melissa Grelli and senior Erin Henry are also primed to take top spots on the Hoya squad.

The freshman class consists of a number of runners who could make an immediate impact on the team. Freshmen Natasha Labeaud, Kailin Collins and sisters Avril and Lise Ogrodnik add fresh depth to the Hoya team.

“I expect Natasha and Kailin could make top seven,” Helmer said.

The ultimate goal for the Hoyas comes in November at the NCAA meet.

“We [have] just got to go out there and do the work and the rest will happen on its own,” Helmer said. “We’re going to take it day by day and do things right.”