Georgetown Barrage Navy Net in 3-0 Shutout

Dan Gelfand/The Hoya Junior Dan Gargan and the Hoya defense held the idshipmen scoreless and allowed just seven shots in Georgetown’s 3-0 victory Tuesday night.

Like chaos theory, the men’s soccer team never produces the same results twice. Losing one day, they seem to be determined to win the next matchup. With each win, they lack something the next time they show up to play. So it follows that after falling to Seton Hall last weekend, the team should rebound by breezing past Navy (5-8-1, 3-2-0 Patriot) 3-0 Tuesday night in Annapolis, Md.

The game was a vast contrast to the Seton Hall match. On Saturday, the Hoyas lacked an offensive spark and a consistent defense. Tuesday was a different story, as everyone came together to raise the caliber of their game and take down the Midshipmen. The soggy field conditions as the teams battled during a cold downpour did not seem to deter the Hoyas. In fact, with a total of 21 shots, Georgetown seemed nearly unstoppable.

While last year’s contest between the two teams featured seven yellow cards in the second half, this year’s showdown was far more polite. One Navy player received a yellow card early on in the second period, but the teams only committed a combined 14 fouls, five of them from Georgetown’s side. The end result was similar, though, as the Hoyas took control of the game and shutout its local rival.

Georgetown made its first mark on the scoreboard in the 23rd minute when freshman midfielder Daniel Grasso fired off a corner kick. Sophomore forward Kemmons Feldman, seeing his first playing time after being sidelined with a knee injury for a few games, sprung up to head the ball in the direction of the goal. The ball hit the side of the near post and ricocheted in. While Feldman led last year’s team on offense with six goals for the season, he has only found the goal twice this season.

Only 14 minutes later, with 36:38 already gone by, junior forward Ellery Bledsoe came off the bench to score his first goal of the season off a pass from senior defender Carl Skanderup. Bledsoe dribbled the ball down to the endline and booted a shot that curved into the goal unexpectedly to put the team up 2-0, a lead it would carry into the second half.

The Hoyas looked particularly strong during the first 45 minutes, outshooting the Midshipmen 10-4. After making two saves and giving up two goals, junior goalkeeper Frank DiFilippo left the net as sophomore Aric McElheny took his spot to try and keep the goal empty. The first half was the team’s finest early showing since the Villanova game two weeks ago and the team carried the momentum throughout the second half for a well-rounded game.

Georgetown wrapped up the scoring with a single goal in the second half from the team’s top scorer and best offensive prospect, freshman forward Ricky Schramm. Grabbing his eighth goal of the year and demonstrating that he has overcome some difficulties that plagued his performance midseason, Schramm nailed a shot from way out, beyond the top of the box, to give the Hoyas an insurmountable three-goal lead. Sophomore defender Ethan Caskey and sophomore midfielder Danny McAnally were both credited with the assist.

Most Georgetown players saw action during the game as 18 players took the field at one time or another. The Midshipmen ended up putting in 27 players in total, substituting a number of players as their ship quickly sank after a poor first half.

Tomorrow Georgetown faces its most critical test of the year when the Connecticut Huskies come to North Kehoe Field for the final Big East game of the year. Sitting at 3-6-0 in the conference, the Hoyas are on the brink of missing the postseason, and they can only hope to qualify if they win this weekend. The Huskies, for their part, have had a fairly strong season and are always threatening opponents. A win would move the team’s record, currently at 7-8-2, to .500 for the season.

Despite often shaky play that makes it hard to give a definite outcome to any game, Georgetown has a lot going for it this weekend, as tradition will be behind it. Last year’s matchup against Navy marked the team’s first win that season and set the tone for the rest of the season. Also, the team has made the Big East tournament for 11 consecutive years and is commemorating 50 years of Hoya soccer this weekend with family, alumni, and lots of food and celebration. Precedent, however, cannot will the team to victory, and the onus will be on the players to leave every thing out on the field tomorrow.

The game begins at 1 p.m.