Georgetown Basketball is Back

Thanksgiving is around the corner, and basketball is back on the Hilltop as the Hoyas kick off their 2005-06 season against Navy today in Annapolis, Md.

Two seasons ago, Georgetown started on a 10-0 run, only to finish with a disappointing 13-15 record that blocked the team from entering postseason play. Last season, the Hoyas started with a loss but ended with an improved 19-13 record, good enough for the National Invitation Tournament. This season the Hoyas will tackle the resilient Midshipmen in their season opener, deciding for themselves the tone of the season.

The Hoyas head into this season with more experience on the bench than last year. Throughout the 2004-05 season, Georgetown consistently started at least two freshmen. This year, the Hoya team returns six potential starters, while adding four freshmen to give depth and stamina to the Hoya bench.

The Midshipmen will likely have their hands full with the Hoyas, but Navy should not be underestimated. Last year Navy defeated Bucknell in Annapolis – the same Bucknell team that later went on to upset No. 3 Kansas in the NCAA tournament. And although the Hoyas and Mids have not met in 27 years, Navy is 24-10 all-time at home against Georgetown – including winning the last two matchups – and the Mids will not roll over to their challengers.

Navy finished last season in the top 50 in the nation in steals and rebounding margin. Rebounding was a weakness for the Hoyas, and the Mids, who were +5.1 rebounding, will challenge on the boards tonight. Sophomore center Roy Hibbert – the tallest player on the floor by five inches – will need to dominate the boards, not only to help his team to victory, but also to set the precedent for the rest of the year.

The Mids return two all-Patriot League rookie team members in guards Corey Johnson and Greg Sprink. These two will take a lot of threes and the perimeter defense will need to be sharp for the Hoyas from the opening tip-off. They had 200 points each in their freshman campaigns and led the team to a Patriot League school record for three points made, 99.

The Navy game will initiate the second Hoya campaign for Head Coach John Thompson III, while the Midshipmen are also under the direction of a second-year head coach. Billy Lange, who came to Navy from Villanova, took the Mids from 5-23 in 2003-04 to 9-19 in 2004-05, a four game improvement. It is a small improvement, but a step in the right direction nonetheless. The Mids lost 10 games by six points or less last year and the Hoyas will have to be prepared so that they do not get caught off guard and become the Mids’ first victims in 2005.

If there is any truth in home-court advantage, the Mids may have found it: While they have won just four of their last 10 season openers, they are undefeated at home in that stretch.

At any rate, the Hoyas are facing a season opener that will give the college basketball world a first look at their 2005-06 team, and a start toward seeing if they have enough talent to back up the buzz that has already started.

Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. at Alumni Hall on the naval base in Annapolis, Md. CSTV will broadcast the match.