Georgetown Bats Secure High-Scoring Win at Home

Dan Gelfand/The Hoya Junior third baseman Danny Gronski scored one run in a strong offensive performance by the Hoyas. Georgetown took down Choppin State on Tuesday, 15-7.

The Georgetown baseball team put its own spin on “Fireworks Night” by setting off the pyrotechnics during the game rather than after it, as the Hoyas exploded for 20 hits in a 15-7 victory over Coppin State at Shirley Povich Field on Tuesday.

The hitters did not have difficulty adjusting to playing under the lights in the first home night game of the year, as every batter in the starting lineup reached base at least once.

Junior second baseman Parker Brooks and junior designated hitter Billy Quinn combined for half of Georgetown’s hits on the night, as both went 5-for-6 at the plate. Quinn put together 13 total bases, with two home runs, two doubles and five runs batted in. Brooks chipped in three RBIs.

Georgetown (21-23, 5-11 Big East) ended a three-game losing streak, while Coppin State fell to 13-27 (6-9 MEAC) on the year.

The Eagles took an early 1-0 lead in the first inning and junior Bryan Crossley managed to keep the Hoyas scoreless in the bottom of the inning, but this was fleeting as Georgetown scored in each of the next three innings.

The Hoyas took the lead in the second, when Brooks laced a two-run single into left-center. The advantage grew to 3-1 when freshman center fielder Derek DeGrijs scored on a wild pitch.

Georgetown did its major damage in the third. Quinn doubled to lead off the inning and came home on senior catcher Michael Lombardi’s two-bagger. Junior right fielder Andrew Cleary followed with a towering home run to left on a 1-2 pitch, his seventh of the year and first since late March.

DeGrijs drove in the fourth run of the inning with a single up the middle. The Hoyas 7-1 lead would have been greater if not for a pair of baserunning miscues that ended the inning.

Coppin State cut into the lead with back-to-back homers in the fourth, but Georgetown got one run back in the bottom of the inning when Lombardi picked up his second RBI to score senior left fielder Ron Cano from second. Georgetown extended its lead to 8-3.

The teams exchanged runs in the fifth, and the Eagles came as close as 9-5 going into the bottom of the sixth. But Quinn led off the inning with a home run. Lombardi, Cleary and junior first baseman Jim Supple (who had three hits) all singled to load the bases, and the Hoyas’ lead grew to 11-5 when freshman third baseman Joe Graziano hit a sacrifice fly. Needing just a triple to complete the cycle, Quinn came up in the seventh with Cano on second and crushed a ball that sailed over the center fielder’s head, bringing home Cano to make it 12-5. Quinn stayed at second for the double.

Quinn came up again in the bottom of the eighth, with two outs and runners at second and third. Quinn drove another ball over the fence in left for a three-run homer.

“My power is beginning to come back around,” said Quinn, who missed several weeks due to injury. “I had to change my stance a little bit to help protect my knee when I swing so I think that was the biggest adjustment that I had to make. The more comfortable I get with that stance and the more my knee heals, the more power I seem to gain.”

Sophomore Warren Sizemore started on the mound for the Hoyas. While he struggled, he battled out of several tough spots to pick up the win. Sizemore (4-4) went seven innings, allowing five runs (four earned) on seven hits and four walks, adding seven strikeouts. Coppin State scored a pair of runs in the top of the ninth off of junior Tyler Abbott to make the final score 15-7.

The offensive outburst came at a perfect time for the Hoyas, as they prepare for four conference games over the next three days. Quinn, Lombardi and Cleary’s strong performances in the heart of the lineup were a welcome sign for a struggling offense, as was Brook’s ability to get on base in almost every inning.

“As a leadoff hitter I try to get on base any way possible,” Brooks said. “It gives our team some momentum and gives the following hitters more holes in the infield to hit the ball through. When our offense is struggling, having runners on base early in the game or early in an inning allows our team many more options at the plate.”

The Hoyas’ game against Mount St. Mary’s scheduled for Thursday was postponed. Georgetown next travels to Pittsburgh to take on the Panthers in a Friday doubleheader beginning at noon.