Georgetown Climbs to No. 5 With Wins in Weekend Play

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Junior midfielders Gloria Lozano and Michi Ellers battle viciously for a groundball. Lozano had nine draw controls and tallied one goal in the contest.

For a team to be talented enough to go 7-3 in its first 10 games of the season and still not feel as if it has played a complete game is a blessing. For the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team, finally getting that total effort is a relief.

It came Friday against the No. 9 James Madison Dukes in a decisive 14-7 victory; the streak continued Sunday afternoon when Georgetown took on Boston College. In the first game, JMU came out strong early, scoring its first goal just over a minute into the contest. The Hoyas responded immediately, however, and tied the score.

“Our game plan was to be aggressive from the beginning, and that helped let everyone relax a little and just go after it,” Head Coach Kim Simons said.

The Dukes slipped one past Georgetown sophomore goaltender Sarah Robinson to go up 2-1 only five minutes into play. Georgetown again answered, this time emphatically. The Hoya offense took a four-goal lead off five consecutive goals over the next 11 minutes. Senior attack Wick Stanwick recorded two of her three goals during the early scoring run.

Junior attack Anouk Peters and sophomore attack Sarah Oliphant both had three goals as well, and the Hoyas seemed to have an answer for everything the Dukes threw at them. Robinson had nine saves in the game, as well as three groundballs.

The Dukes ended the Hoya scoring onslaught with just seven minutes left in the period, but again Georgetown responded with a goal of its own only 40 seconds later. The Dukes scored twice more in the period, while Oliphant recorded her first tally. The Hoyas took an 8-5 lead into the half.

As the second half opened, Georgetown almost immediately found its lead cut to two, as JMU put one on the board less than a minute into the second half, as it had in the first.

“We had to play a complete game and had to stop worrying about losing and protecting leads. We have had some good first-half play and then we’ve let the other teams get back into it,” Simons said. “We did a great job today of stopping that mentality and picking it up and going hard at them.”

Two three-goal scoring sprees highlighted the second half for Georgetown, and these were punctuated by only one more JMU goal. The Hoyas walked off the field as victors for the eighth time this season, but having played a complete game for the first time.

“This was a huge game for us. It got us over a stumbling block that we’ve had during much of the year,” Simons said. “I don’t even know what the stats were right now, and I like that. When I walk off the field and I don’t know who scored and who did what, that’s a good day for the Hoyas.”

On Sunday, the women’s lacrosse team traveled north for a contest with Big East opponent Boston College. The Eagles had won five consecutive contests coming into Sunday’s match, and boasted a 6-3 record overall. They were winless in two conference matches, however, and would remain so, while the Hoyas picked up an 11-6 victory.

Freshman goalie Dosha Stright tended the net for Georgetown, picking up 12 saves on the day. Georgetown was off to the races, netting a 6-2 lead before the half.

The Hoyas came out of the half to face another mounting effort by their opponent to climb back into the game. One goal was all the Eagles could muster, however, and while they cut the lead to 6-3, it was not enough. Georgetown unleashed its wrath in the middle of the second half to take an 11-3 lead before the Eagles put in three goals of their own. The final was 11-6, and with it Georgetown improves to 9-3 and remains unbeaten in the conference.

The Hoyas get nearly a week off before they return to conference action against Notre Dame. The Irish are coming off two weekend losses, the first to No. 3 Duke. The second was a double overtime victory by Stanford over Notre Dame on Sunday. With the losses, the Irish fall to 4-6 on the season, but hold a 3-1 record in conference play.

The two teams meet Saturday at noon in South Bend, Ind.