Georgetown Crushes William and Mary

Andreas Jeninga/The Hoya Junior midfielder Lauryn Bernier tears downfield during the Hoyas’ 18-3 win over the No. 17 Tribe on Wednesday.

When four players score three goals apiece, any opposition would be hard-pressed to overcome that deficit. That was the challenge the No. 2 Georgetown women’s lacrosse team put to No. 17 William and Mary on Wednesday. When the dust settled, four Hoyas had matched the offensive output of the entire Tribe, and Georgetown finished the game with an 18-3 win.

Despite the cold, wet conditions on North Kehoe field, senior midfielder Gloria Lozano opened scoring just three and a half minutes into the game. The waterlogged field then slowed down the pace of the game for several minutes, until Tribe senior midfielder tied it up almost 20 minutes into the game.

The Hoyas hit their collective stride just a minute later as junior attack Sarah Oliphant put her team up 2-1. Lozano put in her second, followed by two consecutive goals by senior midfielder Anouk Peters in just over a minute. Junior attack Catherine Elbe closed out scoring in the first half with only two minutes left, and the Hoyas went into the break touting a 6-1 lead.

Conditions worsened in the second half of the game, and by the time the end of the game rolled around sleet was falling. Hoya goals were falling almost as quickly, however, and William and Mary seemed to have gone as cold as the weather.

The Tribe opened scoring just 59 seconds into the second half as senior attack Kelly McQuade found the back of the net, scoring on junior goaltender Sarah Robinson. Robinson made 10 saves while allowing the Tribes’ three goals. Freshman Margaret Farland relieved her with 4:20 remaining in the game, making two saves.

A 6-2 lead was apparently not enough for the Hoyas. They reeled off nine goals to take a nearly insurmountable 15-2 lead with 15 minutes left in the game. The Tribe put in one more goal, but that final effort was snubbed by three more Georgetown goals. The 12-goal second half sealed the 18-3 victory for the Hoyas.

Oliphant, Elbe, Lozano and Peters contributed three goals each to the Hoya effort. Freshman attack Coco Stanwick added two, while senior mid Michi Ellers and junior mid Allison Chambers each scored once. Sophomore attacks Paige Andrews and Lucy Poole finished the scoring for the Hoyas as the each added one.

Overall, Georgetown outshot William and Mary 37-19 and picked up 34 ground balls. The Hoyas scored on five free position shots and controlled 20 draws compared to the Tribe’s three draws.

The win improves the Hoyas to a perfect 4-0 on the season, while the Tribe falls to 3-2. Georgetown travels to Durham, N.C., this weekend to take on the No. 4 Duke Blue Devils. The Devils are 5-2 on the season, having taken hits from Notre Dame and Princeton. The series between the two teams stands at 5-4 in favor of Duke. Georgetown lost 14-11 in the last meeting.