Georgetown Ends Season With 10th-Place Finish at Penn State

In its season finale, the Georgetown men’s golf team tied for 10th at the Rutherford Intercollegiate this weekend in University Park, Pa. Host Penn State took first place at the event with a three-round total of 843 while Maryland held second with an 861 and Towson came in third with 866.

The Hoyas shot a combined 891 in the 54-hole event to tie for 10th place with George Mason and St. Joseph’s in the 15-team tournament.

Junior Matt Myers was the Hoyas’ top performer, shooting a combined 218, including a third-round 70 on the par-72 course, to place himself in a three-way tie for 20th. Sophomore Tim Moynihan shot a 222 (72-72-78) to tie for 39th.

Junior David Erickson tied for 54th over the weekend, shooting a 226 (79-74-73) while freshman David Praet was two shots behind with a 228 (79-76-73) that gave him a tie for 58th. Sophomore Matt Busa rounded out the Georgetown five with a 236 (79-82-75) to tie for 72nd.

The Hoyas finished the spring season after five tournaments, which saw three 10th-place finishes, one 11th-place finish and a second-place finish behind Notre Dame at the Big East Tournament last weekend.

The Hoyas will lose four seniors to graduation, including Bob olina, a consistent contributor to the team this season. Georgetown, however, acquires two promising golfers next year as Head Coach Thomas Hunter announced yesterday that both Patrick Sherry and Tim Hager have signed Letters of Intent to attend Georgetown.

Sherry is a local golfer and the captain of his golf team at Landon High School in Bethesda, Md. He is among the leaders of the IAC conference with a stroke average of 71.3.

Hager hails from the Philadelphia area, where he is captain of his golf team at Council Rock High School. He was named to the 2004-05 AJGA Rolex Academic All-American team, as well as the Jim cLean F.C.W.T. Academic All-American team.