Georgetown Fades to Seventh at Shootout

The women’s golf team came in seventh place in the 13-team field this weekend at the Shootout at the Legends in Franklin, Ind. The Hoyas finished with a three-round team total of 74-over 935, 47 shots back from joint-winners Eastern Michigan and the University of Illinois.

On Monday, the Hoyas took advantage of the 90-degree sunshine and came out strong in the morning round at the Legends of Indiana Golf Course. Four of the five Georgetown golfers shot in the 70s onday morning, giving the team a combined score of 8-over 296, the second best team score of the first round. Junior Chelsea Curtis led the Hoyas in the first round with a score of even-par 72. Seniors Jenna Winokur and Katie Dwyer also compiled stellar first rounds, shooting a pair of one-over 73s. Junior Carly Hunt and freshman Christine Curley rounded out the Georgetown fivesome, posting first-round scores of six-over 78 and 12-over 84, respectively.

The Georgetown women’s charge slowed down in the second round of the day. Winokur still managed to post her second solid round of the tournament, a three-over 75. She ended day one at four-over 148 and in fifth place in the individual standings. Curtis posted a second-round score of 6-over 78, followed by Curley, who improved her first-round score by four strokes in the afternoon with an eight-over 80. Dwyer and Hunt struggled in the afternoon, coming in with scores of 11-over 83 and nine-over 81. The Hoyas ended the day with a two-round team score of 34-over par 610 and a spot in sixth place, 15 strokes back from the tournament leaders.

“We didn’t want to follow up a score of 296 with the way we played in the afternoon,” Head Coach Patricia Post said. “But we were in a decent spot after two rounds on onday.”

Tuesday’s final round was an uphill battle for the Hoyas, with four of the five golfers turning in their highest rounds of the tournament. Dwyer led the way with a seven-over 79, leaving her with a three-round total of 235 and in a tie for 29th place. Curtis came in on Tuesday with an eight-over 80, followed by Winokur with a 10-over 82. Hunt and Curley ended the day with a couple of 12-over-par 84s. Winokur and Curtis combined individual three-round scores of 14-over par 230 placed them in the top 20 golfers at 19th place. Winokur’s top-20 finish was especially sweet, as she has been struggling to put together consecutive solid rounds.

“Jenna was confident this week,” Post said.

Despite Winokur and Curtis’ high individual finishes, the team’s overall performance was somewhat of a disappointment. The team dropped down to seventh place after Tuesday’s final round, with Southern Illinois moving in front of them in the team standings.

Georgetown’s higher scores can be partially attributed to the luck of the draw. The women had to contend with a particularly rough hole assignment in each round; and the ladies’ finishing holes were some of the hardest on the course. “We lost most of our strokes on the last three holes.” Post said. “We never played particularly well on those final holes.”

Still, the team is focusing on the positives, especially their first-round score of 296.

“We’re looking at how great that first-round score was,” Post said. “We’ll learn to improve out second- and third-round scores as we go”.

The Hoyas are journeying to Florida this weekend to compete in the Xavier Invitational.

“It will be a good test,” Post said. “It’s a Bermuda-grass course, which will be a little different and will take some adjusting to.” Despite unfamiliar course terrain, Georgetown will try to put together their first win of the season this weekend.