Georgetown Field Hockey, Volleyball Begin 2009 Schedules

Field Hockey

As summer enters its final days and the heat continues to bear down on the Hilltop, the fall season for Georgetown athletics is already underway. The women’s field hockey and volleyball teams opened up their schedules last week, away from home.

On consecutive days in Farmville, Va., the field hockey team suffered heartbreaking, one-goal losses. On Friday, against Longwood University, the Hoyas – led by freshman goalkeeper Clodagh Coghlan and her five saves – were masterful on defense, yet they were unable to muster any semblance of an offensive attack in a 1-0 shutout loss. After an early Longwood goal, both teams squandered scoring opportunities throughout – the Lancers tallied 11 shots including seven on goal while the Hoyas managed only four shots, one of which was on goal. Senior forward and captain Kristen Volpe did her best to put Georgetown on the board as she tallied three shots.

Volpe had much better luck during Georgetown’s next outing the following day against Lock Haven University. With her team trailing in the second half, she erupted for three goals to give the Hoyas a late one-goal advantage. The Bald Eagles answered quickly, however, and rallied for a 4-3 victory. Another freshman goalkeeper, Briana Pereira, made her debut for Georgetown as she allowed four goals and racked up seven saves. The Hoyas are 0-2 out of the gate, but they open their home slate on Friday at 2 p.m. against Cornell. Georgetown home games are played at William I. Jacobs Recreational Complex on the campus of American University.

Volleyball

eanwhile, the volleyball team played three matches in two days to begin its 2009 schedule. In their opening matchup of the D.C. Challenge at George Mason University on Friday, the Hoyas fell 3-2 (22-25, 28-26, 25-21, 21-25, 15-17) to the George Washington University in a tough five-set match. The fifth set was tied at 15 until the Colonials tallied two consecutive points to pull off a come-from-behind victory over a strong Hoya squad. After not playing last season, junior outside hitter Kortney Robinson led the team with 15 kills, while sophomore libero Tory Rezin managed 18 digs throughout a quality defensive effort.

On Saturday at American University, despite junior middle Vanessa Dorismond’s 21 kills, the Blue and Gray suffered another five-set defeat (23-25, 27-29, 25-19, 25-22, 12-15), this time at the hands of George Mason. Facing an 0-2 hole, the Hoyas fought back to tie the match at two before falling in the final set. Rezin turned in another solid effort with 18 more digs and five service aces. Sophomore setter Ashley Malone also contributed 51 assists in the tough loss.

Later that day, Georgetown played its final match of the tournament, finally getting in the win column with a 3-1 (25-20, 26-28, 25-21, 25-23) triumph over American. Dorismond cemented her spot on the D.C. Challenge all-tournament team with 11 kills and four blocks. Rezin again led the Hoyas with 19 digs, and Robinson and freshman outside hitter Paris Coleman combined for 26 kills.

On Friday, Georgetown goes to New Haven, Conn., to face off against Yale University, the University of Colorado and Fairfield University for another three matches in two days.