Georgetown Keeps Ranking, Remains in Top 25 Best Colleges

[For the fifth year in a row, U.S. News and World Report ranked Georgetown University as 23rd on its list of Best Colleges for 2010](https://www.thehoya.com/news/gu-keeps-23rd-college-rank-but-slips-in-several-criteria/). The university rose in the report’s economic diversity and “Great Schools, Great Prices” categories.

“Particularly in today’s challenging economic climate we are proud of the fact that Georgetown is seen as a good value for students and is among a peer group of schools known for academic excellence and economic diversity of our student body,” University President John J. DeGioia said in a press release.

One aspect of the university that was recognized by the report is its study abroad program, which was featured in the “Programs to Look For” category.

“Given Georgetown’s global reach we are also especially proud that our study abroad programs were recognized,” DeGioia said. “Study abroad is an activity that many of our undergraduates participate in and find to be among the most rewarding aspects of their experience at Georgetown.”

The list is compiled annually by analyzing data submitted from the 1,477 universities and colleges surveyed. Rankings are determined by various factors, including faculty and student retention, alumni donations and the university’s financial situation.

Some students, however, tend to take college rankings with a grain of salt.

“Twenty-three is an arbitrary number,” said Andrew Kennedy (NHS ’12). “The schools are so close in comparison that it’s meaningless – if anything it sends a message to Georgetown that the school as a whole needs to improve in certain aspects.”

Sam Osea (COL ’12) said that he thinks it is important not to be overly concerned about the rankings. “It’s important to stay competitive in the world of academia,” he said, “but not at the cost of losing the spirit of Georgetown in the process.”

Harvard University and Princeton University were both ranked first in the Best Colleges list, with Yale University following.

The Best Colleges list will be published in the Sept. 1 issue of U.S. News and World Report. Georgetown has been ranked within the nation’s top 25 universities for the past 20 years. “