Georgetown Loses Momentum With Pair of Weekend Losses

Two-straight losses this weekend added up to a rough time for a Georgetown team that has had a roller coaster season of ups and downs. The Hoyas lost to No. 11 Louisville, 5-0, on Friday and then dropped an overtime heartbreaker to Davidson, 3-2, on Sunday.

The Cardinals’ (11-6, 4-1) defense suffocated the Hoyas (5-10, 0-5) Friday; Georgetown could not deliver a single shot in the first half. Still, the Hoyas only trailed by two at the break.

In the second stanza, the Hoyas came out with a fiery resolve, creating two corner opportunities for freshman forward Chelsea Aiken. It took a diving save by Louisville freshman Heather Bustanoby to prevent an Aiken goal.

The loss was Georgetown’s third to a ranked Big East opponent of the year. This season marks the Hoyas’ first in the conference, and while the Hoyas have yet to notch a win in the highly competitive Big East, the play of the underclassmen class has created a sound foundation on which to build on in the future.

Four players are tied for the lead in scoring, all of them underclassmen. Freshman forward Wilemijn Wijsman, sophomore forward Katie Lachman, sophomore midfielder Maggie Farrand and Aiken have all shown the ability to find the back of the goal this season.

On Sunday, the Hoyas let another one get away against non-conference opponent Davidson (8-10, 2-3). Down 2-0 with 20 minutes to play, the Hoyas nearly rallied for a dramatic comeback. Farrand was the first to strike, netting her fourth goal of the season off a rebound.

Desperate for a win, Farrand led an attack in the Wildcat zone with five minutes to play but was taken down, drawing a penalty shot. Senior defenseman Megan Celluci stepped into the circle and scored her first of the year, tying the game with three minutes to play.

Davidson was able to squeak by in overtime on a goal by junior forward Catherine Ransone.

The loss was a disappointing one for Georgetown, as they fell to a non-conference foe for the first time since a loss to Longwood on Sept. 16.

The Hoyas next oppose Villanova on Friday at 3 p.m. on Kehoe Field.