Georgetown Loses Sixth Straight Game

The Georgetown field hockey team is resilient. The Hoyas may have nine losses to their name, but they will not give up.

Facing the Lafayette Leopards on Sunday on Kehoe Field, the Hoyas fought for the ball and, for the first time in five games, succeeded in outshooting their opponents. The effort still fell short, however, and the team was shut out by Lafayette 3-0, dropping Georgetown to 2-9-0 on the season.

The Leopards made a quick start with senior forward Missy Farrand scoring within the first 57 seconds of the game. Freshman forward Virginia Satterthwaite also found the net within the first five minutes, bringing Lafayette’s lead to 2-0.

“We came off scared,” Georgetown Head Coach Laurie Carroll said of the Hoyas’ slow start.

The Hoyas managed to shake off the fright, however, and by the second half were consistently dominating possession, doubling the number of shots taken from the first half.

Georgetown’s effort held Lafayette scoreless for 25 minutes into the second half, but the Leopards were not finished scoring. Farrand hit the net again late in the second half to ensure the Lafayette victory.

The Hoyas’ relentless effort showed in the final shot tally, with Georgetown coming out on top, 15-13. Both teams managed five shots on goal throughout the 70 minutes.

“The bottom line is that we are not finishing,” Carroll said.

Carroll said that she hopes to solve the problem with some new faces. She is busy recruiting forwards for the team.

As Georgetown gets ready to face another month of tough competition, Carroll looks to push the team’s mental effort.

“We’re great in practice. We need to believe it in games,” she said. “It’s not about hockey or fitness; it’s the mentality.”

Georgetown hopes to bring a new mentality to a Friday faceoff with the Temple Owls in Philadelphia. The Hoyas return home next onday to take on Davidson at noon on Kehoe Field.