Georgetown Posts Third Straight Road Victory

Georgetown walked all over William and Mary Tuesday night in its third straight road victory, in an easy 13-5 rout that lifted the Hoyas’ record to 6-2.

The Hoyas more than doubled the Tribe’s goal total, which reflected the story of the game fittingly, as Georgetown was twice as nice in every other category. They outshot the Tribe 35-18, earned 24 groundball possessions to the Tribe’s 12 and committed only 10 turnovers to the Tribe’s 23.

“The defense dictated the tempo of the game. They played a strong game, forcing a lot of turnovers and giving our offense plenty of opportunities,” Head Coach Ricky Fried said.

The strong defense forced William and Mary to commit many weak-hand and low-angled shots, which were snapped up by senior goalies Maggie Koch and Margaret Farland.

“We continue to gain confidence on the defensive end of the field,” Fried said. “And we’re realizing that we are a good defense and that when we play together we are a lot more productive than we are when we play as individuals.”

Georgetown opened strong, running out to a 5-0 lead until William and Mary finally answered with eight minutes left in the first half. The Hoyas went into halftime with a 7-2 lead, while still allowing many fresh legs to see action on the field.

“We came out very determined,” Fried said. “Our ride, consistently, was working, which forced a lot of turnovers on their part. And we were able to play more people than they did, so we were fresher. I think that helps us, especially later in the first half and into the second half.”

Fried noted that Georgetown found the focus and rhythm on offense that it had lacked in its last game, a 9-3 win against Rutgers. By the time Georgetown had secured the victory, sophomore attacker Bunny O’Reilly matched a career high with four points consisting of a hat trick and an assist, and senior attacker Coco Stanwick had tallied four points with a goal and three assists. Junior attacker Zan Morley also scored three goals.

The Hoyas return to action on Friday night at 7 p.m. when they face North Carolina in Chapel Hill.

“Again, it’s going to come down to who executes better,” Fried said. “They’re pretty structured on offense. They have some tendencies that they go to, and we just need to make sure that we force them out of their space to put them into some situations where they’re not comfortable.”