Georgetown Prepares For Summer School

The regular academic year is almost over and Georgetown’s first summer school session is just around the corner. Every year, around 3,000 students attend Georgetown’s summer school sessions, according to Assistant Director of Summer Sessions Erik Frederikson.

Of these, Frederikson said about 70 percent are Georgetown students.

These students stay both on- and off-campus and take varying types of classes and course loads. The summer school pre-session, during which intensive classes are offered, begins May 21 and ends June 15. Students are allowed to take only one course during this session unless they receive special permission from the Dean of the Summer School and Continuing Education Michael Collins.

Students who attend Georgetown University during the academic year are also required to receive approval from their dean or advisor.

Students are permitted to enroll in two courses without specific permission from the dean during the first and second sessions. The first session lasts from June 4 to July 6 and the second goes from July 9 to August 10. A cross session is held from June 4 to July 27.

Frederikson said classes typically meet four to five times a week for approximately two hours each day and are normally smaller in size than regular academic year classes.

Summer school early registration was held between April 4 and 21 for Georgetown students, but students can still register through ay 18 for the pre-session, and later for other sessions.

Students can find applications for classes and financial aid as well as other information on the Georgetown University 2001 Summer School Web site.

According to Frederikson, tuition for summer school courses costs around half the tuition rate of the academic school year, with summer undergraduate classes costing $500 per credit, and graduate courses costing $530. In addition, many students receive financial aid.

If living on-campus, summer school students are typically housed in apartments, with the dorms reserved for summer conference programs.