Georgetown University’s Newspaper of Record since 1920

The Hoya

Georgetown University’s Newspaper of Record since 1920

The Hoya

Georgetown University’s Newspaper of Record since 1920

The Hoya

Georgetown Slogs Through Rain to Earn First-Round Bye

Georgetown outscored its opponents 5-1 this weekend, but came away having splitting its two games.

The Hoyas (13-6-0, 6-5-0) as it bulldozed Cincinnati 5-0 on a wet Friday afternoon, but fell short 1-0 to Louisville (12-4-2, 7-3-1), who won in overtime on Sunday.

The horrid weather conditions did nothing to faze Dave Nolan’s girls as they came out in full force against Cincinnati. It was a night of new records for the Hoyas as they recorded their ninth shoutouts and their 13th win of the season at the expense of the Bearcats (6-9-2, 3-6-1), earning a first-round bye in the Big East tournament.

Earning a bye is something the Hoyas could only dream about last season.

The Hoyas missed the Big East tournament lasting 2006 despite returning on of the most prolific goal scorers in program history, Chrissy Skogen (MSB ’07) and then-junior Jade Higgins who quickly established herself as the best Georgetown keeper of the last decade. But this season, the best freshman class Georgetown has ever seen and previously-unseen production from the senior class have written a different ending to the season.

Freshman forward Ingrid Wells was on fire, finishing with four assists to her name. The first assist came in the one-minute mark when Wells floated a long ball into the box, which deflected off senior midfielder Sara Jordan into the path of freshman midfielder Caitlin Durkee, who put it promptly past the Cincinnati’s sophomore goalkeeper Andrea Kaminsky.

Heavy rains slowed down the pace of the game, but could not slow the Hoyas’ offense. In the 13th minute, it was Wells again who sent another cross inside the box, this time to senior forward Elaina Filauro, who rocketed it in the back of the net to give the Georgetown a 2-0 lead.

Wells helped cut through another lull in play in the 29th minute when she fed in a long ball to sophomore forward Toni Marie Hudson, who tapped it past Kaminsky, who was caught off the line, for the third Hoya goal.

No more goals were scored in the first half, but Durkee started the second half off with a bang as she grabbed her second goal of the match in the 48th minute, thanks once again to Wells’ pinpoint pass at the top of the penalty area.

Hudson added an assist to a goal in the 69th minute as she made a long run down the right wing and pushed a clever pass in front of her to Filauro, who shot into the back of the net for her second of the night, taking the final score up to 5-0.

“All our freshman have come off and contributed,” Head Coach David Nolan said. “All of them have come in and contributed to the game. Good players play, regardless of how old or young they are. They can play anywhere, and they’re good players.”

Georgetown started its second game of the weekend against Louisville by paying tribute to the eight seniors on the team and kicking off with a second seed and home-field advantage in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament at stake.

Both teams’ best chances came near the end of regulation. Jordan floated in a shot in the 80th minute which was barely parried over the bar by the keeper. Louisville’s best chance came when senior midfielder Erica Robinson headed over the goalpost just five minute from time.

The overtime period lasted just three minutes; Georgetown nearly scored the golden goal in the third minute thanks to freshman forward Daryn Towle, but the Louisville defense was able to block it out and pass to Rehder, who sprinted past the defense in the counterattack and got one-on-one with Higgins, shooting one right into her hands and then collecting her own rebound to blast it into the back of the net to give the Cardinals the win.

“The kid who scored the goal scored one that was worth winning the game,” Nolan said, “and we just have to take it on the chin and get ready for the next Big East game. It’s very disappointing and I feel sorry for the kids because we were the better team today. We were the team that looked more likely to score but the unfortunate nature of our sport is that sometimes the better team doesn’t win and it just comes down to the moment.”

The Hoyas’ next match is away versus Connecticut at Storrs, Conn. in the quarterfinals of the Big East Tournament on Sunday.

More to Discover