Georgetown Sports in Brief

Owens, Freeburg Recognized by Big East

Junior forward Kenny Owens was named to the All-Big East second team this week. The Hoyas’ leading scorer finished sixth in the conference with 11 goals, four of them game-winners. He is currently tied for ninth in career goals at Georgetown with 21.

Freshman back Greg Freeburg was named to the Big East All-Rookie team. Starting in 10 of 11 Big East contests, he amassed four goals this season.

The Georgetown men’s soccer team lost in overtime to Boston College last weekend to finish the season 9-8-1 overall, 5-5-1 in Big East play.

Football

O’Donoghue and Samuel Selected To GTE All-Academic First Team

Senior free safety Ryan O’Donoghue and law student kicker arc Samuel were named to the 2000 GTE Academic All-District II Football Team, which qualifies them both for GTE Academic All-America consideration. Senior inside linebacker Mark Shea and junior defensive end Eric Speron were selected to the second team.

This is Samuel’s third straight nomination to the GTE All-District Team. He received the prior two as an undergraduate at the University of Kentucky, where he held a 3.89 GPA. Samuel has made 28 of 30 extra-point attempts and 5 of 6 field goal attempts, the longest at 51 yards.

This year also marks the third consecutive year that O’Donoghue has been selected to the GTE All-District Team. O’Donoghue, a management major with a 3.63 grade-point average, leads the Hoyas with 74 tackles and is one of the team’s captains.

Shea is also a management major, and has a 3.39 GPA. He is fifth on the Hoyas with 48 tackles and has one sack, three tackles for a loss and two pass breakups this season.

Speron leads the Hoyas with three forced fumbles, and has blocked two kicks. His four sacks put him third on the Hoyas and he is tied for second on the team with six tackles for a loss.

Women’s Hoops

Georgetown Recruit Signs Letter of Intent

Mary Lisicky has signed a letter of intent to play basketball at Georgetown University next season, women’s Head Coach Pat Knapp announced yesterday.

The 5-foot-9 guard has led Whitehall High School, Pa., in scoring throughout her three years there, averaging 17 points, 8 assists and 3 steals last season. Lisicky was selected as a Street & Smith All-American Honorable Mention twice and was also named a USA Today All-American Honorable Mention. She also played in France this summer as a member of the USA Select team.

“Mary is an excellent shooter and a smart basketball player. She is a solid player and we are excited to have her become part of our program here at Georgetown,” Knapp said in a Georgetown press release.

Field Hockey

Herring and Elster Receive Mid-Atlantic Honors

Georgetown field hockey midfielder Elena Elster and goalkeeper Jessica Herring were named to the 2000 Astroturf/National Field Hockey Coaches Association Division I Mid-Atlantic Regional All-American Second Team.

Elster had a stellar freshman season, leading the Hoyas in scoring and goals. She had the most points on the team with 48, on 21 goals and six assists. She earned points in 13 out of 19 games and had three hat tricks on the season. Elster is now second in single season goals and third in points in a season on Georgetown’s All-Time Record List. She was awarded Eastern College Athletic Conference Field Hockey Player of the Week twice this season.

Herring had 116 saves, six shutouts and allowed only 20 goals during her sophomore campaign. She is now first on Georgetown’s all-time record list in wins in a season, second in minutes in a season, and third in shutouts and goals against average in a season. She was awarded ECAC Goalkeeper of the Week once this season after having two shutouts in three games.

The Hoyas broke the record for school wins in a season with 13. They also had the best winning percentage in school history, .722. They were ranked as high as 18th nationally during the season. They ended the season by participating in the ECAC Division I Field Hockey Championship, their first-ever appearance in a postseason tournament.