Georgetown Suffers Loss at the Hands of Big East Rival Irish

Courtesy Notre Dame Observer A struggle for possession leaves junior forward Kaiser Chowdhry and junior defender Kevin Goldwaithe entangled during a 2-1 Notre Dame win.

In a hard-fought overtime battle last Wednesday, the Georgetown men’s soccer team garnered its first Big East win of the season, overcoming Virginia Tech 2-1. Any hopes of a repeat performance were wiped out on Sunday, however, when the luck of the Irish pulled No. 8 Notre Dame to a 2-1 victory over the Hoyas, bringing their winning streak to four straight.

The chilly temperatures in South Bend, Ind. Sunday matched the Hoyas’ chilly reception on Alumni Field at Notre Dame. The Irish got an early lift from a goal by senior forward Justin Detter just shy of 28 minutes into play. Georgetown managed only a single shot in the first half, compared to seven attempts by the Irish.

Things were looking up for Georgetown early in the second half. Just two minutes into play, Georgetown senior midfielder Carl Skanderup tied the score at 1-1 with a clean lob into the net from the left sideline, with an assist from freshman defender Tim Convey.

The tie did not last for long. Ten minutes later, Irish senior forward Devon Prescod sent an easy header past Hoya senior goaltender Tim Hogan from nearly on top of the goal line. Hogan, in goal for all 90 minutes of play, made seven saves over the course of the game. Notre Dame’s 16 shots overwhelmed the Hoyas’ mere seven and Irish goaltender and Big East Preseason Goalkeeper of the Year Chris Sawyer’s three saves were enough to keep his team on top.

Clean play was not in the cards for either team, with 24 total fouls called throughout the game. One red card issued to junior forward Kaiser Chowdhry late in the second half for a hard tackle was followed abruptly with a second for the same offense by sophomore midfielder Dan Pydo, just 18 seconds later. With the team’s key players ejected from the team, the Hoyas struggled through the last four minutes of play two men down.

Georgetown’s record dropped to 1-3-0 in Big East competition and 3-4-2 overall after this weekend’s loss.

Notre Dame’s win against Georgetown also helped individual Irishmen garner two Big East weekly awards – senior forward Justin Detter received co-offensive player of the week accolades and defender Kevin Richards took the award for defensive player of the week.

The Hoyas face Virginia Military Institute Wednesday at 4 p.m. in Lexington, Va.