Georgetown Swings Into Fall Play

Georgetown golf returns to old territory to kick off its new season this weekend.

While the women travel to South Bend, Ind., the site of last spring’s Big East Tournament, to compete in the Notre Dame Invitational, the Hoya men head to North Carolina to participate in the competitive UNC-Greensboro Invitational for the second consecutive year.

The men’s team enters this new season fresh off a promising summer in which it was ranked No. 24 on Golf Digest’s list of the “best balanced” colleges, taking into account both the golf program and the academic opportunities at each college.

The Hoyas will shake up their lineup this weekend in North Carolina as they look to improve on last year’s 12th place finish in the tournament. Georgetown has lost four graduates, including Bob Molina (MSB ’05) and Matt Hoesley (COL ’05), both of whom competed in the Invitational last year.

Leading the Hoyas on the course will be senior captains David Erickson and Matt Myers. “They’re basically the cornerstone of the team,” Head Coach Tommy Hunter said. The two seniors were captains last year as juniors.

Hunter said that juniors Tim Moynihan and Matt Busa will also compete this weekend. Both juniors were top individual finishers in last April’s Big East Championship, contributing to the team’s second-place finish.

The team is in the process of a qualifying round for the fifth spot on the lineup.

“We’ve got some youth coming in really strong,” Hunter said. The team adds two freshmen, Tim Hager and Pat Sherry.

Hager competed in the U.S. Amateur Championship in August, finishing 174th at 13-over par in two rounds of play.

The Hoyas play in North Carolina on Monday and Tuesday.

“[The tournament] presents us with a venue where we’ll find out how strong we can be,” Hunter said.

The Georgetown women’s team also begins its season this weekend in the Notre Dame Invitational on Saturday and Sunday.

The Hoyas graduated a couple of key players last spring but will return one in the form of a new acting head coach while Head Coach Leland Beckel is on temporary medical leave. Connie Isler (MSB ’05) will take over the reins this fall after finishing her college career as the Big East co-champion last spring. Isler was a team captain on the Hilltop both her junior and senior years and was ranked in the top 100 on Golfweek/Titleist Women’s Amateur Rankings.