Georgetown Upset by James Madison

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Junior attacker Catherine Elbe fights her way past a defender. Elbe had two goals in the Hoyas’ loss to the Dukes on Tuesday.

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team simply cannot win two games in a row.

Coming off a 14-9 win over Connecticut on Saturday, the Hoyas could not hold on Tuesday against the Dukes of James Madison, falling 12-11.

With the win, the seventh-ranked Hoyas slipped to 10-4 on the season while the No. 8 Dukes increased their record to 13-3 and extended their win streak to eight, their longest in more than 15 years.

The Dukes opened scoring, netting two goals early in the match. Freshman midfielder Kelly Berger scored first, less than two minutes into the game. Senior midfielder Gloria Decker, who leads the nation in scoring, scored her first of five in the game.

Georgetown responded as junior attack Catherine Elbe and junior midfielder Ali Chambers catalyzed a 7-2 Georgetown rally. Each scored twice while junior attack Sarah Oliphant added one goal, as did senior mids Anouk Peters and Gloria Lozano.

Facing a 7-4 deficit with just over six minutes remaining in the first half, the Dukes began their comeback. Junior attack Jessica Brownridge slipped one past Georgetown junior goaltender Sarah Robinson to cut the lead to two. After a five-minute scoring hiatus, Dukes’ junior midfielder Carrie Martell found the back of the net with a minute and a half remaining, and less than a minute later, sophomore attack Brooke McKenzie tied the game. The final 35 seconds ticked away without further incident.

In the second half, McKenzie continued scoring. She opened a 5-2 JMU run with a goal at the 4:40 mark. Lozano knotted the game at eight a minute later, but the Dukes’ Decker scored three of the next four goals, interrupted only by one goal from Georgetown’s Chambers.

Berger scored again for the Dukes, making the score 12-9 and leaving Georgetown more than seven minutes on the clock to get back into the game. Thirty seconds later, the Hoyas made the first step in a comeback, as Chambers again found the back of the net, adding her fourth and cutting the lead to two.

Again Georgetown suffered from a stall in scoring than lasted more than five minutes. With only 1:09 remaining, junior midfielder Lauren Redler capitalized on a free position shot, but the Hoyas were unable to score again, and when the last seconds had ticked off the clock, Georgetown picked up its fourth loss of the season.

Both teams split goaltending duties. For Georgetown, Robinson played the majority – 58 minutes – and made seven saves while allowing all 12 JMU goals. Freshman goalie Margaret Farland played the remaining two minutes, but was not called on to make any saves.

For the Dukes, duties between the pipes were split evenly. Junior Amy Altig made two saves and allowed seven goals in 30 minutes, while sophomore Livvy King made seven saves and allowed four goals.

Georgetown returns home on Saturday for its last game of regular season. The Stanford Cardinal makes the long trip east for Georgetown’s senior day, which honors the three Georgetown seniors – Lozano, Ellers and Peters. The Hoyas will also have to look to rebound from the loss as they prepare for the NCAA Tournament, which begins May 13.

Stanford boasts an 8-7 record this season, coming off a loss to No. 5 Loyola on Saturday.