Georgetown’s Last Performance Not up to Par

The Georgetown women’s golf team decided to quit while the weather was still nice, wrapping up the fall season at the Mid Pines Ross Resorts Rollins Invitational in Southern Pines, N.C.

The two-day competition was the eighth tournament in the past six weeks. The Hoyas finished in the middle of the pack, taking seventh place out of a field of 11 teams.

“As a team, I think we were all a little upset that we couldn’t finish better than seventh out of 11 teams,” junior Christy Larrimore said. “I think we all anticipated ending the season on a good note and going out strong, but unfortunately it didn’t work out that way.”

Georgetown finished with a team score of 976 after three rounds of golf, finishing 23 strokes behind the next highest competitor, Birmingham Southern. Baylor edged out James Madison for the tournament title by a score of 934 to its rivals’ 938.

Larrimore has settled comfortably into her role as the Hoyas’ star, finishing in a fourth-place tie with a score of 233 (78, 76, 79), or 17 strokes over par.

She finished one stroke off third place and four strokes behind the winner, James Madison senior Carol Green.

“Fourth place in my mind is certainly respectable, but I know it was not my best,” Larrimore said. “I shot 79 the last day, which wasn’t how I wanted to end such a good fall season.”

Larrimore also gained some revenge, coming three strokes ahead of Charlotte Campbell. The Rollins junior beat Larrimore for first place at Georgetown’s last tournament, the Yale Invitational, two weeks ago.

Larrimore has led the team throughout the season, finishing third at the Princeton Invitational, 10th at the Pat Bradley Invitational and 12th at the Nittany Lion Invitational, the best Georgetown finisher at each competition.

Senior Connie Isler finished with a score of 242 (79, 82, 81), grabbing a tie for 21st. Sophomore Maggie Ward shot a 253 to end the tournament in 42nd, while juniors Nicole Hayashi and Erin Cockren tallied 256 and 261 for 46th and 51st place, respectively. Only five players compete, and their scores are combined for the overall team score.

The results are a setback from the Yale Invitational, where four of the five same golfers managed a third-place overall finish. Richmond finished ahead of Georgetown in both tournaments while host-Rollins moved ahead of the Hoyas at Mid Pines.

“As a whole I don’t think the team did as well as we had set out to do. I know we all definitely wanted a win somewhere among the five tournaments that we played in, but we were unable to all play well on the same day or at the same tournament,” Larrimore said.

The women’s golf team often splits its 10 members into two groups, the blue team and the gray team, which compete at different events over the same weekend during the crowded golf season. With only one tournament to attend this weekend, only the top golfers played.

The team will return to the links in February to open the spring golf season.

“I think we all need to work on fundamentals, especially our short game, because I think we all lost many shots around the green in a few of the tournaments this fall,” Larrimore said. “I also think some will be making swing changes during the offseason when we aren’t playing tournaments every weekend and have time to work on it.”