GOLF Georgetown Captures13th Place In Season Opener at Navy Invite

The dynamic duo of seniors Tristan Lewis and Cody Courbier led the Georgetown golf team to a 13th place finish at the Navy Fall Invitational on Sept. 9 thorugh 10. The pair guided the Hoyas to a tie with Rutgers after the two-day event at the striking 6,611-yard course located in Annapolis, Md.

The team equaled last season’s success at the Navy Fall Invitational, finishing 13th for the second consecutive year. The 2001-02 team shot a 603, improving on last season’s mark by two strokes. Lewis tallied a 148 (placing 28th overall) and finished as the individual score leader for the Hoyas. Both Courbier and sophomore Nick Cook carded scores of 73, Georgetown’s best round of the tournament. Sophomore Jamas Farrah also played a large role in the team finish by shooting a 155 over the two days.

The Hoyas return after a strong season last year. The team finished among the top four in five of their 10 tournaments. The team’s success was highlighted by a first place victory at the Navy Spring Invitational. Cook belted a 145 at that tournament, propelling the team to a seven stroke win. Individually, Cook almost won the tournament but lost to an opponent from Princeton in a tie-breaker.

The team returns with a wealth of youngsters. The group consists of 13 golfers, including eight freshmen and sophomores. However, the four seniors (Lewis, Courbier, Andreas Huber and Steven Smith) will offer experience and knowledge to this young team throughout both the fall and spring seasons. Each season is made up of five tournaments. The finale for the team in the fall is the Georgetown Hoya Invitational on Oct. 29 through 30. Georgetown has hopes of finishing higher than its fourth place result last season. The final match of the season, in the spring, is the competitive Big East Championships in which Georgetown finished fourth last year.

The Georgetown men’s golf team seems to be improving on last year’s admirable record. The seniors are leading the way with a pair of sophomores nipping at their heels. This solid core should be able to play effective and consistent golf throughout the year. The James Madison Invite (Sept. 22 through 23) is next up on the menu for the Hoyas.